 Marketplace / Shopping / 11842
Re: Shop At Home Free Shipping once again
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 23:47:18 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Maggie Cambron wrote:

I have no background in marketing, so all I can really say is that it
appealed to me and I intuitively know it was intentionally created to do so.
As for the difference in contents,

Do you mean appealed to you as a buyer of sets for yourself?  Or as a
parent/adult buying for children?

That was my suggestion, just to clarify my point from yesterday. I was imagining
a catalog where products were the same as they are now, but the
text/descriptions was all written in grown-up language.  i.e. a catalog very
specifically targetting adults/parents buying sets for children.

I would estimate the average set featured
in this catalog was probably double the price of the average set price in
the general Holiday catalog.

So were these sets that you/I/we would consider to be more appropriate for older
builders?  i.e. more complex (and perhaps as you've indicated more expensive)
sets?

It had a two page spread featuring the ISD
(with the RBR tucked up in a corner)-- and keep in mind the catalog was
wider than the normal ones.  And the other themes all seemed to have their
high end sets showcased.

Anyway, I think it came out this time of year (Novemberish).  And I would
guess it was widely distributed (maybe to people perceived to spoil their
kids with large <http://shop.lego.com/default.asp S@H> purchases during the
year).

Neither myself, nor the person who organizes our group purchase received this
catalog last year. We are both people who have bought items via Shop At Home in
the past, both large and small purchases.  Our organizer (who is not an adult
LEGO fan of any sort) put through several hundred dollars worth of orders in
both 2002 and 2003 before Christmas.  So if that was the target audience she was
most definitely missed.

Perhaps this was not something distributed in Canada.

It all brings me back to my earlier points though... that if we can organize
ourselves to put together a multi-hundred dollar order, what sort of extra
dollars could LEGO bring home if they were the entity providing the structure
for these sort of group buys?

Most of the parents who participate in our group order would not make these
purchases at all if they weren't doing it with us.  But they do so because:

a) It's easy.  Someone else places and worries about the order.

b) It's fun.  When the big boxes come in we open them in the office and everyone
gets to see everyone else's purchases.  The first year we did this we
immediately turned around and did a second group order.  More Advent calendars,
more Creator board games, you name it.  So really this is our third year, but
the fourth group order we've placed.

I got one. I agree with Maggie's characterization of the types of sets
featured in it. Further, I feel the same way about the targeting, (with no
hard evidence, but with a strong feeling) that she does, it was targeted at
adults.

Again, see above.  I'm not sure we were on the same page. I was really thinking
standard kid-level product mixed with smarter adult-level marketing.

Best regards,
Allan B.