 Marketplace / Shopping / 11550
Re: LEGO F1 Ferrari Collection, look but don't touch!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 18:33:34 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Aaron West wrote:
The LEGO Website always has some nice things to look at.

I checked out the LEGO Website tonight on a whim, and gasped as I saw the
Ferrari Racers on the front page.

http://www.lego.com/eng/?x=x

Beautiful!!  So I click the link, because I love F1 Racing.  A lot.  I have to
see more of this:

http://www.lego.com/eng/racers/Default.asp?x=x

"Hand built Ferrari, now you can continue the tradition," it says.
I am drooling, even if there are no Techinc Beams, it's a beaut!
So I explore deeper:

http://www.lego.com/eng/racers/ferrari/default.asp

OMG!!!  Four distinct Ferrari products!!  A driver set (even looks like them!),
a minifigure scale car for the Racer series, and a fully stocked and minifig-ed
Pit Stop with the car!!!  Oooo, deary!!  Where is my credit card!!!
Got-to-have!!  Click the cart!!!!

http://shop.lego.com/product.asp?p=8375

"Price: Sorry, item is not available in this country."

Why am I not surprised...
Disappointment sets in.  Why even advertise the stupid sets on the World Wide
Web, if they are not intending to sell to the World.  Especially the World's
largest consumer economy????  What is the point LEGO???  I can see why so many
people get frustrated in other nations now (Australia), it's just stupid.

Is Mega Blocks this bad??  I don't think so.  It just seems like another whimsy
in which LEGO fails to interpret or target the consumer for sales.

-Aaron-
Frustrated Adult Fan of F1 Racing and Building Toys

This is a problem for many international companies like LEGO.  I called a couple
of months back when I noticed the mini-figures and Ferrari F-1 on eBay. I was
told by customer service that the items could not be marketed here at this time
due to the licensing agreement.  I was told I could purchase the item but would
have to have it delivered to someone in Europe.

A number of products come with restrictions on the tie-in products that are
sold.  These restrictions may be for a certain period of time or may last the
entire time the item is marketed.  There are a number of products that are
marketed in the U.S. by LEGO that buyers from Europe and other parts of the
world have complained about not being able to purchase.

I was able to buy the Ferrari figures and the mini-figure version of the pit
crew with the Ferrari F-1 (Still waiting to receive the items).  It would be
nice if we were able to set up a network to purchase and exchange such items and
not get gouged on the price in the process.

I was equally upset to see the Maersk Sealand ship on eBay before they were
marketed in the U.S. for three times the selling price.  There are sellers
listing that they have 200 copies of an item, that is limited to five per buyer.
I hope they get stuck with the sets.