 Marketplace / Shopping / 11091
11090  |  11092
Subject:
Target Strategizing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 03:51:18 GMT

Hoping to score some clearance sets, I hit 10 Targets in the Kansas City area today. Most had a meager selection of sets, all at 50% off. Here are my findings in case this helps anyone else in their search.

1. Calling stores ahead of time seemed fruitless. Stores that claimed not to have any Lego sets at all generally had the same selection as other stores.

2. One manager claimed that markdowns would shift to the next level 5-6 days after the most recent markdown. He thought his store went to 50% off on Sunday and suggested to check again this weekend.

3. The same manager said that his store adjusts the markdown overnight.

4. Another store claimed that the last markdown happened on New Years day, which makes me wonder if tomorrow might be the day for 75% off.

5. Besides an abundance of NBA collector sets and a few small Harry Potter and Star Wars sets, there were very few larger sets in quantity. The Hailfire, Designer sets, Mars Rover, NBA arena, and Privet drive were the most common larger sets to be found.

6. Avoid the stores in affluent suburban areas. Soccer moms tend to clear the shelves of most deals before they hit the final markdown.

Hunt well,
Andreas Stabno
SimiLego