 Marketplace / Shopping / 10738
Re: Old stock re-appearing....possibly near you
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 02:49:57 GMT

Howdy Bob!!

In lugnet.market.shopping, Robert Horvath wrote:
Hi,

I live in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada and we visited the Niagara Falls, NY
TRU last week.  They had much older items than we have here (at least in
Kitchener).  They were clearing Rock Raiders and I did see some older sets
in the "rafters"...but nothing that really got my interest.   Although items
were being clearanced, once I calculated exchange, GST and PST on returning
to Canada, the price was not that great.  The one set I almost bought was
BackDrop Studio 1356 ....it was $14.99 or $15.99 US.  I really felt left
out...my wife got some Barbie deals, my youngest cleaned up on TMNT
merchandise and my oldest son got in on a 2 for 1 PS2 game deal.  All I got
was the novelty of signing their electronic credit card authorization
device.

I was there today.  The one back drop was indeed $14.99.  They also had an
Studios "Exploding Bank" for $19.99.  Also not that great of a deal, but
certainly has some great parts.  The Rockraiders set in question is:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4980.

I didn't catch the price on that.  They also had a 6600 Hiway Construction up
at the top, and a 6478 Firefighters HQ.  They had ONE 4561 Railway Express left
for $69.99.  They had a bunch of Soccer sets, Studios sets (Green Goblin) on for
clearance and the Island Extreme sets were reduced (IE,
new price).

I used to be able to find old service paks and small sets at KayBee
Liquidators in Niagara Falls, NY but that source has also dried up.

Have you tried the KayBee Toys at the Walden Galleria mall.  I always find
at least some good deals there, from time to time.

I went to the New BigLots in Niagara Falls, NY today also, and found it to be
a great big disappointment.

I find our Canadian TRUs manage their inventory a bit more efficiently (just
my opinion) and clear stock out a lot sooner.  A few LEGO events that have
been really worthwhile were January's(?) soccer sale and the StarWars sale
about 2 months ago.  I don't think you could do any better in the US.  You
can't beat a $43 Yoda and free buckets when you spend $50.

I can't wait until the Christmas season gears up.  Blue Tubs (hopefully for
$19.99 CDN).  Other half-off sales also.  I have my heart set on
2 Starwars Skyhoppers, 1 Scorpion Palace, and 1 6776 Ogel Control Center
(my local TRU has at least 10 6776's).

I enjoy going the US but I think I'll do my LEGO shopping up here in
Canuckyland.

I don't think you'll find any old discontinued gems at TRU in Canada but I
wish you luck :)

Bob

That is for sure!!!  I think the old sets are LONG gone.  Having worked at
TRU last year, and seen the back store room (and helped organize it
periodically) :), I know that there are nothing of old back there!!!

Ben