 Marketplace / Shopping / 10733
Re: Old stock re-appearing....possibly near you
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:31:09 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Jake McKee wrote:
   I just got a call from a colleague in our sales department. They are working closely with the big chains this summer to clear out much of their old inventory to make way for newer products.

Woohoo!

   While my colleagues were out and about all over the country, several people noticed that especially Toys ‘R Us stores often had a great deal of older stock.

There’s a reason for that, too. TRU stores are notorious for tossing older stock up onto the very top shelves to get it out of the way of newer stock. Noone really looks at the top shelves (not normal people, at least), however, so they just sit up there and collect dust.

   There is at least one story of something being found in a back room of a TRU from 1993, and since that TRU wanted to move it, they tossed it in the clearance bin!

I found an 8299 Search Sub from 1997 at a nearby TRU shortly after they started clearancing old stock. It didn’t even come up in the aisle-side price scanner, so I asked if it was supposed to be on sale (on the theory that if stuff from 2002 was being clearanced...) and I was told that it was not. *sigh*