 Marketplace / Shopping / 10735
RE: Old stock re-appearing....possibly near you
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 01:33:56 GMT

Hi,

I live in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada and we visited the Niagara Falls, NY
TRU last week.  They had much older items than we have here (at least in
Kitchener).  They were clearing Rock Raiders and I did see some older sets
in the "rafters"...but nothing that really got my interest.   Although items
were being clearanced, once I calculated exchange, GST and PST on returning
to Canada, the price was not that great.  The one set I almost bought was
BackDrop Studio 1356 ....it was $14.99 or $15.99 US.  I really felt left
out...my wife got some Barbie deals, my youngest cleaned up on TMNT
merchandise and my oldest son got in on a 2 for 1 PS2 game deal.  All I got
was the novelty of signing their electronic credit card authorization
device.

I used to be able to find old service paks and small sets at KayBee
Liquidators in Niagara Falls, NY but that source has also dried up.

I find our Canadian TRUs manage their inventory a bit more efficiently (just
my opinion) and clear stock out a lot sooner.  A few LEGO events that have
been really worthwhile were January's(?) soccer sale and the StarWars sale
about 2 months ago.  I don't think you could do any better in the US.  You
can't beat a $43 Yoda and free buckets when you spend $50.

I enjoy going the US but I think I'll do my LEGO shopping up here in
Canuckyland.

I don't think you'll find any old discontinued gems at TRU in Canada but I
wish you luck :)

Bob