 Marketplace / Shopping / 10380
Re: More K-Mart stores to close
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 04:24:20 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Ray Sanders writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
Announced today. see list of stores here:

http://www.kmartcorp.com/corp/story/pressrelease/news/pr030114a.stm

-Suz

OMG, and I thought the K-mart clearances were finally over. This leaves me with
*one* K-Mart within a 50 mile radius (down from 4 this time last year).

Of note is the closing of the Super-K in Valdosta GA for the 2nd time ! This
store was closed in the fall of 2000 and was the source of many many lego sets
that I have sold over the past few years. Not because they had a huge stock
there, but because the liquidators used it as a massive toys clearance outlet.
I was quite surprised when they repoened it during the summer of 2001. Rumor
had it that the original closing was a mistake in crunching the sales numbers
for that store. Every time I go there, there are planty of people shopping so
I'm still surprised to see it being closed (again). Nearby competition is a
non-SC WalMart, Target, TRU, Sam's and the Valdosta Mall so there I guess its
been a fierce season up there. Anyway... here we go again.

Stores that I'm losing: G'ville FL (13th St), Lake City FL, and Valdosta GA.

Ray

I'm losing the same three, although Valdosta is a 75 mile trip for me.  The
thing about K-Mart is....everything.  I can't remember the last time I
actually bought something there.  I go once every blue moon thinking that
MAYBE I'll find something worthwhile or competitively priced, but no.  My
wife and I received a K-Mart gift card for X-mas and we're still trying to
figure out what to do with it.  We are not even remotely interested in
K-Mart's merchandise, service or higher prices.  Maybe we'll actually get to
use it now that they'll be marking stuff down.

-Scotto