 Marketplace / Shipping / 505
Re: Priority Mail boxes (not likely to be of interest to non US readers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 05:31:05 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.market.shipping, Kevin Salm writes:

Funny thing about PM supplies--it seems that some/all of the little
rural post offices have a hard time getting certain box sizes.  So every
few months my local postmaster asks me to order a few cases of the #4
cube box since it is not available to her.  Dunno who she is giving them
out to, but it would be nice if they would order their own.  It would save
me from returning cases to the post office that my letter carrier has just
delivered.

Hmm, why doesn't she order them herself, and pick some bogus address that
her staff is well aware means "deliver to us." Hmm, like the actual street
address of the Post Office??? :-) (that would then be a funny way to
initiate a new driver, sub him in on the route which includes the Post
Office, and watch as he manhandles the boxes into his truck, and sets off
to deliver, only to realize... yup, they go right back where they came
from... :-)

Frank's evil twin...

I suppose that would make too much sense for my postmaster to order the
boxes as a civilian and have them delivered to her directly (or for a
bogus address).

Actually, I don't mind doing my postmaster a favor now and then.  I get
extra special treatment by all of the staff.

I get all of my packages picked up right at my mailbox so I am able to
ship every day without going to a post office.  And I can get stamps in
any demonination that are available.  Last month, for example, I bought
2 sheets of 30 cent stamps that were ordered specifically for me.
Post offices with automation do not sell non-standard denomination
stamps anymore--they use their postage meter and those adhesive labels
for that.  So I simply ask my postmaster to order whatever I want--if
I want 20 sheets of 55 cent stamps and 10 sheets of 80 cent stamps,
she will order them for me.

This keeps me happy and ensures that I do business at my hometown post
office. Since small, low-revenue post offices may be in danger of being
closed down sometime in the future, I am helping my community by making
my postage purchases at our own post office and not from one in another
community.

__Kevin Salm__