 Marketplace / Shipping / 482
Re: US Postal rates to increase this July
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:13:26 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Ben Roller writes:
(snip)
So, it looks like the Post Office is just increasing rates to match the
competition.  I've always wondered why they charged so little for the same
or better service as UPS and FedEx (ground, not express.)

Ben Roller

Yep. Also keep in mind that the USPS has far more mailing points than either
FedEx or UPS (counting counters here, not drop boxes). My 'local' UPS mailing
options (less than 70 miles r/t) are the hardware store and a semi-local shipper
in the next town over. They both charge a substantially higher rate for UPS than
UPS charges at the counter. For these folks, handling UPS packages is a profit
center.

Ray