 Marketplace / Services / 497
Re: eBay buys PayPal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 01:27:25 GMT

"Amy Hughes" <lugnews@public.atreides.org> writes:
PayPal is a tad controversial - it's got jaw-dropping Ts&Cs and it's
not very friendly to people outside the US. Also, there are occasional
foul-ups, and several states want much closer scrutiny - if PayPal
looks like a bank and it acts like a bank, then it should regulated
like a bank."

Heh. You don't suppose a company that uses customer account funds to cover
operating expenses is free of accounting irregularities, do you? Will this be
eBay's poison pill?

You don't know much about banking, I trust... Do you really think that
every penny in your checking or savings account is actually held just
for you?  Heck no, they spend it.  Sometimes they even have to borrow
to cover it when you make a withdrawal - that's what the Prime Rate is
all about.

Though I do think that banking regulations should apply to PayPal, I
don't see anything wrong with anything I've seen them do...

--Bill.

AMAZING BUT TRUE: There is so much sand in northern Africa that if it were
                  spread out it would completely cover the Sahara Desert!