 Marketplace / Services / 490
Re: Part Voting Issue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.market.services
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:39:46 GMT

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Orion Pobursky wrote:

What's more likely is that we'll add functionality in the parts tracker
to send messages from one user to another.

Sounds like a good idea, although that might be a lot of work. . .

That's exactly what I would like to see. A button or hyperlink that says
something to the effect of "Send the Reviewer a message", then a page with a
message box would pop up.  This way the Email addresses would be kept
private but we could still communicate.  A great example of this is the way
eBay handle messageing between users.

Well, actually I'd say that a better example of this is the way Ebay
*used* to handle messaging:  you click a link, fill out a form with your
message and password (to authenticate), and away it goes.

Ebay threw away this perfectly functional software to move to a system
where they could get their cookies on your computer more often, so now you
have to go through the whole hassle of turning on cookies, logging in,
sending the message, and turning off cookies[1].  I know that that's saved
me a lot of money on lots I didn't bother to ask about. . .

Please FUT appropriately.

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/

[1] That is, when you're tied to NS 4.76 (which users on many operating
systems are, unless the admins can be persuaded to install a recent
Mozilla); I realize that you have more options with more modern browsers
like Opera 6 and Galeon 1.2