Subject:
Part Voting Issue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:23:07 GMT

I recently encountered a problem with the current part voting system that
needs to be addressed to prevent future incidents from occuring.

Last year(around August) I submitted some parts to be voted on. One of the
parts had a 'hold' placed on it. That was fine. Two months ago I finally had
time to get re-involved with the ldraw community and discovered the part had
a 'hold' placed on it which prevented it from being voted on further. I read
through the 'hold' comment and had questions about why the hold was issued,
however, between the time the hold had been issued and now, the person who
had placed the hold no longer maintained an active involvement with the
voting process. Fortunately I was still able to contact the person and clear
the hold so that someone else could take a look at the part.

The issue we need to address is what happens when you can no longer contact
the evaluator who made a comment about a part you submitted, and what to do
with the parts someone has evaluated when that person suddenly has no time
to be actively involved in the evaluation process.

Considering the time frame, about 8-10 months, from the time I submitted the
part and now, I have a strong feeling this part would have still been on
'hold' another year from now if I hadn't noticed it and taken action to
correct it. I also wonder if there are other parts, currently on the list,
that will remain on 'hold' indefinitely because the evaluator who placed a
'hold' on them no longer has time to continue evaluating parts.

We definetly need to enact rules to make sure an evaluator's parts are
passed to another evaluator when that evaluator no longer has time for the
process.
I also believe something should be done so that an email is sent to a part
author notifing them when an evaluation is made that will prevent the part
from continuing through the certification process. Unlike most part authors
I am usually unavailable during the Fall and Spring months, however, an
email last Fall would have expedited the problem's solution and may even
have made the first suggestion I made unecessary.

I'm just throwing this out for people to consider.
Thanks,
Adam