 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 9989
Re: Brick Bay overnight?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:57:55 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Felix Greco writes:
I've never ordered from Brickbay before.  If I order pieces, can I get them
overnight?  Do people usually take a while to confirm your order once you've
placed it?

It depends.  Some people have net access at work, some don't.  Some people
have net access at work and can (essentially) waste productive time at their
jobs and deal with their hobby, some can't.

I'm lucky enough that I have enough downtime at work (waiting for things to
go wrong that I can fix - and since I do my job so well my stuff usually
doesn't have problems) that I can usually respond to an order within a few
hours at most.  I know some people don't have that luxury, nor do I really
expect it.

But even if you place an order at my shop and I respond within minutes (not
uncommon) you aren't going to get your pieces overnight, even if you pay me
through Paypal right that instant.  That would essentially require me to
leave my job, go home, pack up your order, and go ship your order either
through FedEx or the USPS - I wouldn't trust UPS if you paid me.

I couldn't see going through all that trouble unless you were willing to
compensate me for my time and trouble, and I doubt you'd be willing to pay
what I normally bill per hour.  :)

But if you placed an order on Friday and paid via Paypal on Friday your
order would ship out on Saturday via Priority Mail along with everyone
else's at my usual Saturday run to the post office.  You'd get it on Tuesday
or Wednesaay, maybe even Monday.  So that would be pretty darn quick - and
you wouldn't have to pay the ridiculous charges for overnight shipping.

Felix (with money to blow)

How much?  If the figure is high enough I could see making a special trip to
the post office during the week (inconvenient but I'd do it for an
especially large order - say $200).

Most people selling on Brickbay are doing it as an extension of their hobby
- most probably to make money to offset the costs of the sets/parts they
keep.  Given that I doubt you'll find many people there who have the ability
(or the desire) to try to provide the kind of commercial-level shipping
options you and I are used to when we decide we want to buy something from
Amazon.com, Buy.com, or other actual _businesses_ online.

Multi-faceted question - no simple answer to any part of it as all of the
people selling on Brickbay are individuals, so you're bound to have as many
different response times and shipping wait times as you have sellers.  Most
of the good and regular sellers there make those things clear in their FAQs
and such.