 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 9161
Re: FS/FA ** 398 USS Con....... - NOT THAT RARE !!! **
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:38:20 GMT

"Jean-Marc Détraz" wrote:

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Klaas H. Meijaard writes:
These string-guide-pieces are very special, unique to this ship. As soon as I • get my
digital camera working again I'll send a picture to anyone who wants it.
Even on the original instructions you can't see what they look like.

Actually, they aren't really all that unique. They're just a 2x2 plate w/metal
axle and wheels (I think the part is: <part 122c01>) without the metal axle • and
wheels.

That's right, I've got one. And there is 4 of them.
There is also 78 grey round 1x1 brick with top closed
There is 16 1x1 yellow windows
there is 3 2x4 clear plates
and this famous sticker!

So if somebody could make one with the original pieces from
scrap, it would cost a lot, just to find the above pieces.

So the value is really hard to evaluate.
I've bid $800 on one complete mint with box, instructions,
poster and sticker, but I was outbid by a higher proxy.
Mine is mint, original instruction and sticker, but without
box or poster. I paid $215 for it.

I'm like Paul, If it has a nice collectible value,
sometimes I don't hesitate. But be sure to know the
reason why you want to buy it

Best regrds,

Jean-Marc (Lugnet #98)

This entire thread is very interesting to me.  If this set (#398) is the King of
the Model Builder kits, then the Thatcher Perkins (#396) Locomotive is the Queen of
the Model Builders.  I have spent the last 2 years buying up spoked wheels, closed
top 1x1 rounds, the rod/piston kits (#1119 - from Europe only), red fence gates,
red arches, and blue and yellow macaroni bricks to build several Thatcher Perkins.
The only parts totally unique to 396 are the stickers,  of which I am making
photocopy stickers.

I am going to build about a dozen different Thatcher Perkins (most using a
different color scheme), and some will be of different models of antique
locomotives.  Some of these will even have an entire train (coal tender, passenger
car, etc) to this same scale, which is larger than the regular LEGO train scale.  I
even wanted to build some using white spoked wheels, but the small spoked wheels
don't come in white, only the large size spoked wheels.

Although not as rare as the #398, the #396 is quite valuable in its' own right.  I
have seen this one go for up to $400 at auction.

Gary Istok