 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 9076
Re: FS/FA ** 398 USS Con....... - NOT THAT RARE !!! **
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:12:56 GMT

This is definately a set collector's set :)  It's true that there are
only a few semi-rare parts in this set, but it is a beautifully designed
set made from classic Lego pieces.  I wish more sets were made this
way.  The box, poster and instructions make this set a lot more valuable
as a collector's item.  I have been fortunate in having this set
twice...once as a child, and getting it again after emerging from my
Dark Ages (Sold my original for $390.00 in '96 with box, instructions,
poster in good, but not excellent condition).  The copy I have now is
without box, instructions and poster but then again, I only paid a
little over $100 for it :)

I am curious about the artwork that goes into producing the box art and
posters that Lego sometimes includes in their sets.  I wonder if the
company has the original artwork archived in some way.  Wouldn't it be
neat to get uncut posters of box art?  Somehow, I doubt anyone at TLC
has bothered archiving stuff...after all, to them it's a product that
has a short shelf life, whereas I'm sure some of us would like to see a
Lego museum :)

--
Thomas Main
main@appstate.edu

"Klaas H. Meijaard" wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to mention:

Instructions ofcourse present and in very good condition !!

Klaas

Frank Filz schreef:

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, James Brown writes:

???  I'd have to say I'm in the same camp as Derick on this one.  Sure, it's
a cool looking boat, but excepting the 1x1 windows, it doesn't look to me
like there's any rare pieces on it.  I could make it from parts in my
collection (again, except the windows).

Maybe I'm missing something, but this sure doesn't look like $500 worth of
Lego to me.

But, with the box and all the materials, it's a collector's item.  I'm with
you, I don't really collect LEGO for anything except building, but there are
people who collect the sets themselves.

But this one doesn't have a box or the sticker for the base. Also, the quality
of the instructions isn't mentioned.

I'm amazed that this set would go for $900.

Frank