 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 8999
Re: Contacting people who have said they want to buy.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:49:19 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Paul Rutenberg writes:
Hello James
I do not understand what you are saying at all, why one at the time?? why 2/3
rds under Ebay price? you mean if a set brings $600,00 on ebay, i should sell
it for $400 here? ridiculous!! i am not the savation army and nobody will do • it
for me either.

Lets take a look at the set that you are talking about, which would be a 4558
(or 675)...I have both, so am not really interested in more unless they were at
original price...

I feel that if you are going to offer something to someone who is a member of
Lugnet, you should, as a community thing, discount the set price somewhat.
When I used 2/3rds, I am thinking along the lines that the _average_ price on
Ebay, rather than the highest price ever paid, is more along the lines of what
I would start out with. So, for a 4558, I would think that 400-450 is a
reasonable selling price here, even if the set might bring you more $$$
elsewere.   (take a look in .trains, for the 4555's that I sold _at my price_
as a example, my money is where my mouth is as regards more common sets).

I just view it as being profiteering to gorge someone for a set that you got at
your local wallyworld or wherever...just because you happen to have been lucky
and hit one with lego at it on sale.

Seller should at least take off the amount he would pay Ebay
for
selling it there, that i will agree to.
What is a rare set? do you have a list of these, i don't think it exists.

Sure.  My rough post 1980 list are:

Yellow Castle
Madens Cart
Tavern
Metroliner
Metro Parking lot

(note, I am a trainhead/townie, so there are some things that are not listed
there...for example, I have refused better than $150 for a $10 set I have, that
was a strictly limited promo set, the UNICEF van)

Basically, if it commands more than 5x its original price, or more than $500
regularly, then I would consider it rare.

If i have something for sale, and i see somebody is looking for it, it is
correct to write these peaple, all at one time, the one that answers first • that
he would like to have it, i reserve it for until transaction is finished, the
one thing that isn't important, is the price asked for the set, if it is too
expensive, nobody will buy it, so problem taken care of, but it is still the
right of seller to know what he expects for an item, what is wrong, is
when a seller does an auction this way, writes everybody asking them to make • an
offer and taking the best one if it overbids what he expects for the set, this
belongs on Ebay and not in personnel emails and not on Lugnet either
(personnel opinion).

That's about where I stand.  I'm not saying: I expect everyone with a set to
sell it here for what they paid for it, I am saying that _I_ would expect that
if someone culled my name from LUGNET that they would have reasonable prices,
ones that are certanly in line with Brickbay, and perhaps a little lower.  Ebay
is very inflationary to the prices that some of us are (or are not) willing to
pay.  For example, I would view a 4558 as being worth around $300 USD, which,
IIRC, is what I paid for mine in '96.  I don't view it as being a $600 set, and
won't buy a 2nd one at that sort of price.  (then again, I am a builder, so
MISB is not important to me)

I usually offer a set here with a set price, imform persons looking for the • set
that i am offering it, if nobody answers on it, it lands on Ebay, where it
usually brings more then i offered it for.
Later
Paul
Lugnet 567

That sounds fair to me.  If you think a set is worth a amount, offer it at that
amount.  I am suggesting however, that you use around 2/3 Ebay for the offer
price on LUGNET. This won't work with the most expensive sets, or the cheapest
sets, but I view it as a good starting point.

James (LUGNET 202)