 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 6511
Re: Wish List
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:18:45 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, James Cunningham writes:

Well, Sir, I appologize that you find my request as an insult. But, I am very
open to negotiation over how much the set would sell for as I do recognize the
fact that some are very old sets. I wold hope you do not think I am that
foolish to think I would not be willing to make the sellers offer worth his
while.

James: I can't speak for Dave... but I certainly wasn't *insulted* by your
request. Merely bemused.

I posted my reply in hopes of helping you better understand the marketplace.
Rare old town sets are expensive. That's just the way it is. And if you have
better information, perhaps you won't be as disappointed when you don't get any
takers at MSRP+10%.

To Geoffrey: If you're talking a trade, using MSRP to gauge relative worth may
work well, but it's STILL better to use market pricing as some sets are more
inflated than others and using MSRP may short change one of the traders. I just
don't agree with your second assertion that (paraphrasing) "because most of the
pieces in the set aren't that rare, MSRP++ is fair". Century Skyway doesn't
have that many rare pieces but 120 USD for it would be a steal. If you have
some extra copies of it lying around I'll gladly give you MSRP +20%!! ...and
you'd be a fool to take it.

LEGO isn't the only place that this is true, try pricing antique cars for
instance.

Hopefully this post generates more light than heat.

++Lar