 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 3675
Re: in Frankfurt next week?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.loc.de
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 20:51:38 GMT

Hey Lar,

I see some Frankfurters (no pun intended) have already given you some good
advice about LEGO.

A couple of other things.  Most stores close after 1PM on Saturday, unless
it's what they call "langer Samstag" or long Saturday, when I think they're
open until 6PM.  But I think that it falls on the first Saturday of the
month, but I'm not sure.

Another thing about non-chain toy stores in Germany.  Usually they have
boxes of spare pieces/parts (ersatzteile/zubehör) out of sight, or sometimes
underneath the LEGO display area.  This is especially true for train spare
parts.  It doesn't hurt to ask "Haben sie LEGO erzatzteile für Eisenbahn?"
(do you have spare parts for trains).

On a totally different note Lar, you should try the "Asbach Uralt Weinbrand
Bohnen" (brandy chocolates).  They are to die for!!  Just make sure you
don't buy them at the airport.  The brandy has a tendency to evaporate if
left in heat or sitting out too long, and I've been burned more than once by
buying them at the airport (unless they are refrigerated there).  Food/sweet
shops throughout Germany have these.  And once you taste them, you are
hooked.  I avoid the bean shaped ones because they are the least strong
(brandy wise).  Each chocolate has about 1/4 shot of great brandy.  Buy a
small package and taste one on the spot, I guarantee you will buy
more.......  all my family expects these for Christmas.  I buy them (under
the counter since they are illegal in Michigan) at select import stores in
the Detroit area.   AUSGEZEICHNET!!!

Also try Nürnberger Elisen Lebkuchen (Nuremburg "exclusive:" gingerbread).
Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard....

Have a safe trip, and.....
Frohe Weihnachten!
Gary Istok

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I have just found out that I (90% chance) will be in Frankfurt Germany
from thursday through sunday of next week. A few questions:

- Anyone interested in a minifest?

- Anyone need anything brought over?

- How do I go about finding these small shops we hear about and are they
open on Saturday (the day I won't be working)?

I will have a car so can do some driving but am pretty clueless as to
where stuff is, etc...