 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 3509
Re: Good Trader List proposed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 06:33:16 GMT

Richard Marchetti wrote:

Bad dealers come and go by their very nature, while the good dealers stay on.
Maybe as a service for those climbing aboard the lego collecting ship as it
pulls out into the rough seas of trade we should concentrate on creating a
good seller list somewhere?  I think we should emphasize the good over the
bad.  Perhaps dealing amongst the honorable will raise the standard for this
whole field of collecting and eBay be damned -- although the lure of "strange"
plastic can be overwhelming sometimes, I know...

You know, part of my reason for being so free about trading on LUGNET is that I
know what the general cost of being a weenie to regulars here is:  censure from
this community.  I don't know about you, but LUGNET is such a big chunk of what
makes this collecting/building/sharing/trading endeavour really reawarding that
being ejected from it would render a lot of it meaningless.  I credit my emergence
from the Dark Ages in large part to the mood of RTL in 1994/5 and more recently
LUGNET.

My faith hasn't been unjustified either, I think.  I have yet to encounter a bad
trader--although a few times owing to confusion or busy lives the pre-shipment
negotiation correspondence has tapered off.  I recently bought and distributed a
bunch of 5988 Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins to virtual strangers for my cost plus tax
and two dollars--about $30 each--and everyone was prompt, courteous, and generally
made the experience of sharing a find like that a pleasant one.

I could nominate the likes of Craig Hamilton, Julie Krenz, Kevin Wilson, Josh
Opotzner, Arnold Staniczek, and some others for inclusion on such a list.

I'd make a list but I'd be afraid of leaving too many people off of it!  Julie is
the hero of my deuterium supply (long story), but there are others--Gene
Rodriguez, Troy Cefaratti, Larry Pieniazek and Todd Lehman (goes without saying!),
Adrian Rohnfelder of the Black Roof Bricks, Mike Walsh, Mike Ulring, Josh
Spaulding, John Ladasky, Andreas Stabno, and the list goes on (sorry if I've
missed anyone)...

AND, I am still working out a Lego condition grading system too...

I usually try to use the 1-10 scale used for most other types of toys.

I dunno, just a thought or two to warm my grey matter up for the huge amount
of homework I am avoiding...

Procrastination is a way of life for the grad student.  Class at 9am?  I'll start
reading soon...those three-hour gabfests really wear me out.

best,

LFB