 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 12064
Re: Brickbay is available and running on a new server
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 21:03:59 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Daniel L. Massicotte writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Dan Jezek writes:
Hi,

The move has been completed, I apologize for it taking so long.  Brickbay
can be accessed on the following URL:

http://216.37.35.72/

The domain name www.brickbay.com will point to it within the next 48 hours.
If you go to www.brickbay.com, you will be automatically redirected to the
new server.

Brickbay is now hosted by Eric Smith's Northstar Computer Systems.  Eric is
a member of the AFOL community, a member of the Guild of Bricksmiths and
even has a Brickbay shop.  Check it out:

http://216.37.35.72/store.asp?p=ncseric

Please e-mail me if you encounter any problems ;-)

Hi Dan,
I seem to have an intereting problem with brickbay that does'nt occure all
the time. Suppose I click the store in the US "Lost in the Vacuum." Once I'm
in the store, I see the splash page, the name of the store, and where the
store is located, but the list of set categories and pieces are'nt there.
However, this problem does'nt happen with all the stores. Only certain ones
like: Charles Heap O Legos, Lost in the Vacuum, Pyrite's Plunder (and others).
The store Missing Brick does'nt show me anything but the Title, the tabs at
the top, and what country it is located in. (USA) Which leaves me unable to
do anything but get out of the store.
It may be helpful for you to know that at the bottom of the screen it says
"Done" (something to do with uploading the page) Also, this problem has
happened with both the old and new brickbay servers.
If you can suggest anything I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you

Sincerly
Daniel Massicotte
p.s. ( Thankfully, this problem has'nt stopped me from ordering pieces from
other stores :-), also, I'm writing the message here because I can't reach
you by e-mail. For some reason the Mail Administrator keeps sending it back
to me.
Thanks!

Dan

Hi,

As owner of the "Missing Brick" I am very unhappy to hear this. I checked, and
it indeed takes a lomg while for the shop to load (but it eventually does) . The
other shops you indicated also have, like me, a very large variety of bricks (I
have over 1.500 different bricks). This makes the store inventory big and takes
a long time to load. On slower connections, like a modem, it may be impossible
to avoid a timeout, and therefore not get to my store. The size of the file
needing upload is however noly 245k (in my store's case), and when I download a
similar amount of other webpages, I get is in 2-3 seconsd, while on the current
brickbay server (and for the old one) it can take up to 40 seconds. Usually my
store gets a few orders a day, and about 1 in every 8 visitors ends up ordering.
I noticed that after the move, I have had 100+ visitors, but only 5 orders. I
hope this problem is solved soon. Meanwhile, begore this problem is fixed, just
wait a little longer when visiting a large shop (like mine, pyrite's, etc..), it
will load over time...and then there is lots of bricks to choose from. I
recently listed: 7817, 4558, 4547, 181, 4551, 4559, barracuda ship, castle sets
and a 390 (cool old cadillac, mint bricks), and many more...

Paul