 Marketplace / Auctions / 871
Re: which threads, ethics (was: Re: Mini Auction - 6273 - Rock Island Refuge)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 06:18:42 GMT

Naji Norder wrote:

This practice is called "Bid Siphoning."  While it might be "good" for
buyers, it _is_ discourteous, and is specifically forbid in most auction
venues.

I would like to differentiate "it _is_ discourteous" from "you find it
to be discourteous."  Clearly, some folks do not consider it
discourteous.

From eBay's rules:
        "You may not email bidders in a currently open auction being run by a
different seller, offering similar or the same items at any price level
(bid siphoning), nor may you use an alias to place bids on your auction
for any reason."

But I didn't email any bidders.

From Yahoo's rules:
        "You cannot disrupt other auctions in progress (for example, by
contacting bidders in an auction being run by a different seller and
then offering similar items or the same item at prices below the current
bid)."

But I didn't contact any bidders.  I posted another offer in an
open forum.  It is as if I had another auction for the same item.
People do that in Ebay all the time.

Sincerely,
/Eric McCarthy/