 Marketplace / Auctions / 864
Re: which threads, ethics (was: Re: Mini Auction - 6273 - Rock Island Refuge)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 23:50:52 GMT

This practice is called "Bid Siphoning."  While it might be "good" for
buyers, it _is_ discourteous, and is specifically forbid in most auction
venues.

From eBay's rules:
"You may not email bidders in a currently open auction being run by a
different seller, offering similar or the same items at any price level
(bid siphoning), nor may you use an alias to place bids on your auction
for any reason."

From Yahoo's rules:
"You cannot disrupt other auctions in progress (for example, by
contacting bidders in an auction being run by a different seller and
then offering similar items or the same item at prices below the current
bid)."

In an actual auction house, I would suspect that someone who walked in
and did this would be "soliciting" on another's property, and would be
subject to the local anti-soliciting laws.

Naji
n (dot) norder (at) computer (dot) org

Eric McCarthy wrote:

Hello Lugnet auction participants:

As you might have noticed, I took the liberty of responding to
this Lugnet auction thread with an offer to sell at a lesser price.
(The thread was "Mini Auction - 6273 - Rock Island Refuge")
I knew this might annoy the auctioneer, but I didn't think
it was unethical or discourteous, just competitive.
What do you all think?