 Marketplace / Auctions / 7663
7662  |  7664
Subject:
what do people think of custom models on ebay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:48:03 GMT

Noticed some custom models that have done well on ebay.

Some are almost packaged as custom sets with instructions. - like the Milton
Trains

Some extend an existing model - like a 3 masted 6274 pirate ship I saw.

The latter seems to be a way of generating a higher price than if you just
sold the original sets separately, but as there are no instructions, I
wondered what the appeal to the buyer was.
After all, you could buy the individual sets and parts for less and
construct your own MOC.
And if it is the MOC you are after, then I guess it has to be shipped
assembled, else how do you reconstruct it?
(you could guess and follow some photos, but then you are back to why not
buy the sets and parts rather than paying for the MOC)

What do people think?

I am curious as I was thinking of selling my Pirate collection using the MOC
approach as I have some incomplete sets which when combined to extend a
complete one would make a nice, and seamingly more valuable, MOC.

regards
lawrence