 Marketplace / Auctions / 4449
4448  |  4450
Subject:
my first "high bidder backing out on me" eBay experience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 17:52:04 GMT

Well, I guess it was bound to happen.  Not a Lego auction, which
doesn't surprise me.

The guy isn't a newbie (has a feedback of 16) but he claims that in
his haste he assumed something about a Gameboy I listed that is
absolutely not stated in the listing.  Now he is backing out.
Surprisingly, he has agreed to pay the difference between his bid and
the next highest bid, although I pointed out to him that while I have
already contacted the second-highest bidder, he/she is not (as far as
I know) obligated to honor his/her bid, so I may have to go further
down the list.

I told him as long as he makes up the difference between whoever
_does_ pay for the item he will save me the trouble of filing a
non-paying bidder complaint and asking for a fee credit.

Any other advice from eBay veterans?  I know we're dealing with
individuals, but should I feel confident that one of the other bidders
will honor their bids?  Luckily 3 other people are within 5 dollars of
the high bid.

If the high bidder who has backed out follows through on his promise
to make up the difference should I leave it at that?  I resent the
fact that I'm having to waste more of my time to try to find someone
else to pay for this item, but in the end, if I get the same amount of
money, I'll only have lost a few minutes of time...

--
The parts you want and nothing else?