 Marketplace / Auctions / 4246
Re: Turkey Auctions....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 07:08:55 GMT

Actually, I think it does help in the long run to have a picture (and the
picture logo on your listing).  Some bidders do actually look at only
auctions with pictures. (I'm one of them, unless I can get a really clear
picture in my mind what the lot is from the disciption.  As in "500 Black
2x4 Bricks - Brand New"  Wouldn't really need a picture for me, but as the
seller I would put one anyways)

When posting to eBay, I use a standard picture for the eBay picture line on
the form.  It is the same for all of my auctions, a simple 2k .gif image
that says "Mnementh Thanks You".  It doesn't add much to the download time,
gets me the "pic" logo, and thanks my customers at the same time.  (On a
side note, I would not recommend doing this if you do not have an actuall
picture of the lot in the description of the lot.  This is VERY annoying
from a buyers point of view (Mine atleast).  Almost as much as the free
picture hosting sites that require to click on a ling from the auction to
see the picture.)

Why I Use a standard picture has more to do with HOW I post my auctions
rather then any other reason though.  I use a modified version of the eBay
Add Item page that has only the Title, Description, Gallery Image, Minimum
Bid and Duration visible on it.  All the other options are hard coded as
hidden type input and do not change from auction to auction.  This allows me
to rapidly post auctions without having to scroll through that huge Add Item
page of eBays.  And since I have to change the description so that the right
picture is shown, having to change it in the eBay input line as well would
just be more work.

(Thanks to Dwayne Towell for showing me how to do this initially on BRICKS.
If anyone would like to know how to do it, e-Mail me and I will send you the
template file.)

Also, this was before the new Mister Lister was released.  I'm planning on
trying this out with my next batch of auctions.

Troy

followup-to: lugnet.market.theory

And to increase the download times and irritate your potential bidders.
Personally I don't think the pic logo makes any difference at all, I
never bother doing something special to get it and any auctions which
have pics built into the description don't have it either. If you feel
it's worth doing, then why not use something less obnoxious than an
animated GIF? (I hate em).

Kevin
--
Email: kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com