 Marketplace / Auctions / 4224
Re: Turkey Auctions....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 22:25:21 GMT

Adam wrote:
I doubt that's why he does it, irritating your bidders is bad business
sense. And I'm sure he'll thank you not to make those kind of >assumptions about him.

Wups: I should know better than to be facetious in a message, someone
will always take you seriously.

Seriously Adam, of course I know Scott doesn't do it to annoy bidders.
But the fact is that extra graphics in auctions (extra to those which
actually picture the lot) ARE irritating to many bidders, not just me -
messages get posted at intervals here and on LUGNET commenting on them.
One recent discussion suggested that eBay should even limit sellers to
using specific eBay approved formats for auctions to combat the unwanted
extras ( a suggestion I disagree with, by the way). That's how strongly
some people feel about it. Animated GIFs are particularly bad because
they are larger (in file size) than a normal GIF of the same picture
size.

Anyway, Kevin, pictures only increase the download times *of the
pictures*, so why get irritated when you can't see pictures you hate? >You can read the whole listing before, during, and after the pictures >are downloaded, so what's the problem?

The problem is twofold: extra graphics as well as the picture(s) of the
auction item increase the download time of ALL the pictures - including
the ones I want to see. Add to that the fact that most sellers don't
include height and width tags in their auction pictures so the browser
has to get all the picture info before it can render the page, and you
can see that it affects seeing the text too.

Scott's auctions are not all that bad from the point of view of extra
graphics - he only uses one - some people add all kinds of junk to
theirs, especially around Xmas. But even one is irritating to some
bidders, so why do it?

Kevin

--
Email: kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com