 Local / United States / Rhode Island / 8
Re: Interest in NELTC or other Lego Group. (NELUG?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 13:28:16 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ma, Chris Phillips writes:

I have been thinking for awhile now that we really need to establish a • general
NELUG (New England Lego User's Group, for those of you who are acronym-
impaired) to include Lego fans of all persuasions.  I personally am a robot-
head, but I'm sure that there are a lot of other folks in the area who could
benefit from a local user group with meetings in meatspace.  This group would
be loosely modeled after BAYLUG.

This all sounds good to me.  I think we would have more luck the more general
it was.  Although I have interest in getting into Trains I am also into Star
Wars and would like to get into robots in the future.

Exactly.  To quote a particularly annoying ad campaign, "wider is better."
For example, although I don't "do" trains (at the moment) I would love to see
what others are doing with them.  Also, I imagine that you could do some really
cool stuff with a train setup by incorporating one or more RCXes into the mix
to sense trains and turn on signals, etc.  I've also been having fun lately
just modelling "pure art" with (non-electric!) Lego bricks.

A more broad-based group would appeal to a wider audience, and also would lead
to more cross-pollenation and idea sharing between Lego fans from different
sub-cultures.  I imagine that sub-groups could eventually form around any
particular special interest area (Trains, Mindstorms, Star Wars, ...) if the
larger group got too big.

I hope that we have critical mass in the region to make such a venture work.
Is there any interest in doing this?

If you have any interest please make a post.  At this time this is more of a
brainstorming discussion so it would be nice to hear what others have to say.

After all, why should the 'Friscos have all the fun?

Definitly,  Heck maybe if enough of these ???lug groups got started who knows
where this group networking could go.  Plus for those like me that travel alot
the more groups accross the U.S. the more options I'd have for a break while
traveling on business.

Eric

I was thinking this too.  If there were enough groups nationwide, we could do
some really cool cooperative stuff.  Imagine a "Lego Bowl" where the regional
LUGs face off in building competitions.  Or a massive get-together to build the
world's largest Lego train system.  Or just a fun-build and model show.  Or
perhaps we could even bargain collectively for group discounts on Lego
products.

We just couldn't call the nationwide association of user's groups "LUGNET",
since I think that's been taken already...  (Maybe we'd call it USLUG,
pronounced "you slug!")

Anyway, crawl first, walk later.  Please respond to this message thread if you
are a resident of (or frequent visitor to) New England and if you would be
interested in joining a regional user's group.  This will only work if we can
get enough interested people together.

When responding, please include your general geographic location so we can get
a feel for the distribution of the group.  For example, I live in southeast
Massachusetts with easy access to Boston, Worcester, and the Cape.

- Chris.

p.s.  I tried to add "lugnet.loc.us.vt" to the list of newsgroups (still part
of NE, no?) but the web interface wouldn't let me type that many chars into the
"Newsgroups" field.  But everyone is welcome!  (Hey, even if someone wanted to
drive up from Arizona for meetings, they'd be welcome in my book!)