 Local / United States / Rhode Island / 37
36  |  38
Subject:
Next NELUG meeting and potential Group project(s).
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 16:02:46 GMT

Hello all,  I have been quiet lately because my sister just gave birth to her
first child (A boy) and things have been a bit busy.  Also with my first
wedding anniversary comming up this weekend I have not had alot of time to work
on setting up our next meeting.  I am hoping that we can set something up in
the next couple of weeks.  If anyone has any Ideas for where or when we can
have the meeting please let me know.

Although the MIT Mindfest is our first priority at the moment I have been
trying to think of some ideas for some group projects that might be fun.  So
far I have come up with 3 ideas based on what you have said your interests in
LEGO are.  And they are...

1.  A Robotics/Mindstorms challenge
2.  A modular Town (With or Without train) with the layout based largely
    on the LEGO road baseplates.
3.  A Star Wars project.

I don't know what kind of Robotics challenge we could have but we have quite a
few robotics people in NELUG and I am sure we could come up with something.

For the town I think this could simply be we decide on a basic road layout and
build from there.  This allows for small and large modules that can be mixed an
matched and joined together to create a sizable town.

I have done the most thinking about the Star Wars project.  I have a number of
things I have wanted to do and I think I have found a way to combine them into
one grand NELUG project for those interested in Star Wars.  The things I have
wanted to do are...

1.  Build more Star Wars
2.  Do an origional "Picture Board" story on the Internet based in
    the Star Wars universe but the unknown SW universe.
3.  Find a use for all those cursed BURPs
4.  Create unique/origional ships and objects that fit in the SW
    universe that don't allready exist.

My first thought is I want to have a squadron of B-Wing's that scour the
universe looking for the remnants of the Empires fleet and independant warlords
after the Battle of Endor.  They do this in an undercover ship disguised as a
rouge Asteroid (The use for the BURPs).  This would be the big (B)-wing
(U)ndercover (R)econnaissance (P)roject.  :')

My thought is that this ship could be modular.  For the story board we would
need some Imperial ships (TIE Fighters) and vehicles (AT-AT and/or AT-ST).
This would obviously be a long term project.

Anyway I have just been trying to think of some things to do.  Obviously
because we have a wide range of interests in NELUG we could have multiple
projects going on at the same time and people can participate in the ones that
interest them the most or in none at all.

If anyone has some other ideas or would like to add to the ideas I have posted
lets hear it.  We are all in this for the fun of it.  Whether or not any of the
projects are seen in public who knows its just a way for us to combine our
efforts to create something cool.

Eric

Remove ".nospam" when replying by E-mail.

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/