 Local / United States / Rhode Island / 38
Re: Next NELUG meeting and potential Group project(s).
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.me, lugnet.loc.us.vt, lugnet.loc.us.nh, lugnet.loc.us.ri
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:17:47 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma, Eric Kingsley writes:
Hello all,  I have been quiet lately because my sister just gave birth to her
first child (A boy) and things have been a bit busy.  Also with my first
wedding anniversary comming up this weekend I have not had alot of time to
work on setting up our next meeting.  I am hoping that we can set something up
in the next couple of weeks.  If anyone has any Ideas for where or when we can
have the meeting please let me know.

Again, I'd offer out in Worcester, but that's an hour hike for some :)

Although the MIT Mindfest is our first priority at the moment I have been
trying to think of some ideas for some group projects that might be fun.  So
far I have come up with 3 ideas based on what you have said your interests in
LEGO are.  And they are...

1.  A Robotics/Mindstorms challenge
2.  A modular Town (With or Without train) with the layout based largely
   on the LEGO road baseplates.
3.  A Star Wars project.

I don't know what kind of Robotics challenge we could have but we have quite a
few robotics people in NELUG and I am sure we could come up with something.

I think something like an assembly line might be cool... makes for a bigger
thing at the mindfest... how many Mindstorms could we pull together for that?
Maybe have something like one of those ball machines, but smart! Or it could be
a ride for minifigs... Pick a minifig up (when it sees one waiting in line, put
it at the top of a tower, the minifig slides, gets snagged by the next
mindstorms contraption that spins him around or something, then speeds him on
his way to the giant minifig launcher, etc... Might be tough to do as modules,
but would be really cool, I think... Plus it'd be a great way to see Timmys
meet their demise >:)  <-- evil grin (We could have a cast of annoying
minifigs... the JarJars, the timmys, the president clinton (Obi-wan's grey
hair!), etc. and have people come up and select the minifig they'd like to see
tortured. We could keep a going tally of the most hated of the minifigs...)

For the town I think this could simply be we decide on a basic road layout and
build from there.  This allows for small and large modules that can be mixed
and matched and joined together to create a sizable town.

Or maybe try and do something specific to Boston? Again, I don't know about the
feasibility of this... in order to build things like REAL buildings in minifig
scale, we need a LARGE number of pieces, even if we just do the bottoms of
buildings... or maybe a scene of historical Boston? Anyway, if we did that,
we'd probably each have a building (or more) assigned or something, rather than
base it on road plates... Anyway, a thought.

I have done the most thinking about the Star Wars project.  I have a number of
things I have wanted to do and I think I have found a way to combine them into
one grand NELUG project for those interested in Star Wars.  The things I have
wanted to do are...

1.  Build more Star Wars
2.  Do an origional "Picture Board" story on the Internet based in
   the Star Wars universe but the unknown SW universe.
3.  Find a use for all those cursed BURPs
4.  Create unique/origional ships and objects that fit in the SW
   universe that don't allready exist.

My first thought is I want to have a squadron of B-Wing's that scour the
universe looking for the remnants of the Empires fleet and independant • warlords
after the Battle of Endor.  They do this in an undercover ship disguised as a
rouge Asteroid (The use for the BURPs).  This would be the big (B)-wing
(U)ndercover (R)econnaissance (P)roject.  :')

My thought is that this ship could be modular.  For the story board we would
need some Imperial ships (TIE Fighters) and vehicles (AT-AT and/or AT-ST).
This would obviously be a long term project.

Hmm... yeah, for feasiblity for the Mindfest, I'd say that a story board is a
little too long term... But it might make a great thing to put on our site! A
story board that gets updated with new scenes from each meeting; until we
finally form a gigantic story! (I could always supply an AT-AT!)

I'd say for the mindfest, we could have 1 particular scene done (of our own
storyboard, or a 'real' SW scene) or maybe just a bunch of vehicles that we've
done...

Other ideas? Hmm... castle theme? Train? Aqua? I guess these might all work
too... Don't know if we have lots of people who'd want to contribute to them
all...

laterz,
Dave