 Local / United States / Ohio / Columbus / 278
Re: Meijer's at Rome-Hilliard & Trabue has betrayed Lego fans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh.col
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:42:45 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.oh.col, Mark D. McKean writes:
I waited to post this until I had a chance to verify that it wasn't a
temporary or transitory situation...but it still exists.

The situation is that the Meijer's in Hilliard (at Rome-Hilliard and
Trabue) has drastically dropped their Lego section in the toy dept. The
Lego display used to occupy a good ten-foot section of wall display, up
to ten feet high, plus one or two end caps. That is now reduced to a
single end cap (plus a small rack of Duplo two aisles away). All the
small sets are no longer on display at all; only medium size ($10 and
up) and larger sets are out (except for Throwbots/Roboriders), and few
are 2001 sets. They're giving more space to Mega Blocks and Best Lock
than to authentic Lego (MB and BL get aisle space).

As an AFOL, I find this situation unacceptable, and so I am personally
boycotting the Hilliard Meijer's for all purchases, perhaps permanently.
This used to be a very good store for Lego; now it's in the same
category for me as the Target on Sawmill Rd (that is, a store I won't
bother to even stop at anymore).

I'm not calling for a mass boycott; that wouldn't accomplish anything
anyways. I'm just giving everyone a heads-up.

Whoa... slow down there, Mark... :)

You've run into what I ran into a month or so ago. I encountered this and
didn't think anything of posting it and I apologize as it's resulted in undo
alarm. It slipped my mind that it would be relevant info for .col. :(

Having just been there on Monday I can verify that they still have their
usual selection. It has been relocated from it's long standing place along
the side wall and those two endcaps, however.

The LEGO aisle is now on one of the 'regular' toy aisles.. about 1-2 before
the barbecue grilles and accesories begin ( back near the aisle that crosses
from Gardening to Groceries along the back of the store). I almost missed it
myself were it not for going up and down all aisles before I tried to find
one of the usually hard to locate employees to ask.

They did not appear to have anything on clearance in a casual glance on
Monday. I wasn't really in the market to buy, after getting my items at
Kohls/TRU on sale already last week, but they do have their usual general
selection.

Joel J