 Local / United States / Ohio / 169
Re: CO BrikWars get together
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 21:33:39 GMT

meloneg@oclc.org (Gino A. Melone) wrote in
<8F0E82D1Fmelonegoclcorg@132.174.211.95>:

Too folow-up (to myself no less).

So far we have the following people who've expressed an interest:
  LegoMasterLuke (aka Drew Lawrence) {Buckeye Lake area?}
  Gino A. Melone
  Tiffany Vincent {Cinci}
  Adrian Drake {Cleveland, what part?  I lived there for a while}
  John Matthews
  Jorge Rodríguez

  Um, sorry about the fighter Jorge.  That really is one of my most
embarassing moments involving either LEGO or the 'net.

  So we are settled on 4/15/00.  A location TBD in the Columbus area.
John, do you know of anyplace suitable?  I may be able to find someplace.
I'll look into it.  Don't worry Drew/Luke, we'll find someplace.

  Everyone, except possibly Jorge, seems OK with 4/15.

  We're not going to worry too much about genre.  I propose we all use the
modern+1 tech rules and pretend whatever we field fits that.  My crossbows
can be those bowcasters that Chewie carries.  I wonder how I should rate
dragons?  Hmm...

  Build whatever you feel like.  We'll figure out how to balance the combat
when we get there.

  Everyone should pre-calculate the point costs of everything they bring.
That will make it a LOT easier to figure out if we are balanced enough to
be fun.  It will also force me to read those sections of the rules more
carefully.

  Everyone bring any appropriate dice you have.

  Should we define a battle scenario?  Something like, "free-for-all on
neutral territory" or "opposing fortresses" or "siege".  Should we plan on
having teams?  Or do we want to start as a free-for-all?

  How much structure do we want?  Just random stuff to hide behind or maybe
some actual buildings?

  I actually like the idea of building and defending a medieval castle.
However, I don't know if I will be able to find any time to build one.  I
may be up late the night before counting my troops so I have something to
show up with.

  What about time of day.  From my experience with similar games, and
NELUG's experience, I'd guess 3-8 hours elapsed time.  Probably a minumum
of 4-6 hours should be planned on.  Being as old as I am, I am inclined to
plan on ending by 9-10, at the latest.  That means we should start by lunch
time.

  I'd propose that we meet around lunch time.  We can plan on getting some
pizzas.  We can eat while we figure out what we are doing and setup.  That
leaves us with at least a few hours of gaming time in the afternoon.  And,
still leaves plenty of time for the out-of-towners to get there and home.
Thoughts?  I'm not sure I have ever been to a gaming session that didn't
involve eating.  Hmm...

  Whenever we meet, everyone should plan on having a few bucks to get some
food at some point.  I can bring some munchies or drinks.  If a couple of
us each bring something, we'll have plenty of munchies.  I'll plan on
bringing some chips/pretzels sort of things.  Anyone want to offer a couple
of 2-litres?  Some general advice for this sort of get together.  If you
have specific needs (you can only stomach caffeine-free, non-diet, Pepsi-
clear (do they still make that?)) bring your own.  It' just simpler.  BTW,
I'll probably be bringing my own beverage because I can't really have much
caffeine or carbonation.

  I assume Tiffany and Adrian are big-kids, er adults, and will be driving
themselves.  I think I've met John.  I know I've met Jorge.  So that only
leaves L/D to ask.  L/D, will your parents be hanging around in Columbus or
just dropping you off?  Heck, do they want to play?  I'm only asking so
that we can help in any way.  If they want to see a movie while they wait,
we could recommend a theater.  That sort of thing.

  Man, I'm long-winded.

  Can anyone think of anything else which needs resolved?

  I'm going to post an announcement in a couple of other groups now that we
have a date.

    Later,
    Gino A...