 Local / United States / Ohio / 181
Re: CO BrikWars get together
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 22:58:14 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.oh, Gino A. Melone writes:
meloneg@oclc.org (Gino A. Melone) wrote in
<8F0E82D1Fmelonegoclcorg@132.174.211.95>:

Too folow-up (to myself no less).

So far we have the following people who've expressed an interest:
LegoMasterLuke (aka Drew Lawrence) {Buckeye Lake area?}
Gino A. Melone
Tiffany Vincent {Cinci}
Adrian Drake {Cleveland, what part?  I lived there for a while}
John Matthews
Jorge Rodríguez

Um, sorry about the fighter Jorge.  That really is one of my most
embarassing moments involving either LEGO or the 'net.

So we are settled on 4/15/00.  A location TBD in the Columbus area.
John, do you know of anyplace suitable?  I may be able to find someplace.
I'll look into it.  Don't worry Drew/Luke, we'll find someplace.

Hehe, ok.

Everyone, except possibly Jorge, seems OK with 4/15.

We're not going to worry too much about genre.  I propose we all use the
modern+1 tech rules and pretend whatever we field fits that.  My crossbows
can be those bowcasters that Chewie carries.  I wonder how I should rate
dragons?  Hmm...

Yes. All of us are "newbies" to the Brik War game, so our first event is
basically a "bring whatcha can."

Build whatever you feel like.  We'll figure out how to balance the combat
when we get there.

Everyone should pre-calculate the point costs of everything they bring.
That will make it a LOT easier to figure out if we are balanced enough to
be fun.  It will also force me to read those sections of the rules more
carefully.

Everyone bring any appropriate dice you have.

Should we define a battle scenario?  Something like, "free-for-all on
neutral territory" or "opposing fortresses" or "siege".  Should we plan on
having teams?  Or do we want to start as a free-for-all?

A free for all is probably the best, as it leaves out buildings. (More below.)

How much structure do we want?  Just random stuff to hide behind or maybe
some actual buildings?

Just random stuff. Buildings that can take any sort of abuse are waaaaaay to
expensive.. I thought about fielding a fully armed Bunker -- biiiig mistake.
240 points. The armed men to put inside would have cost the other 60. (Who
would have died horribly when somebody through a grenade through one of the
gun ports on the Bunker.)

No builings. (For me, at least.)

I actually like the idea of building and defending a medieval castle.
However, I don't know if I will be able to find any time to build one.  I
may be up late the night before counting my troops so I have something to
show up with.

And I like the idea of attacking a medieval with an X-Wing. (j/k) If we play
realisticly, your Archers cannot hurt it. (Go fire an arrow at a solid metal
object -- "ping." Makes a nice noise, but thats about it.)

What about time of day.  From my experience with similar games, and
NELUG's experience, I'd guess 3-8 hours elapsed time.  Probably a minumum
of 4-6 hours should be planned on.  Being as old as I am, I am inclined to
plan on ending by 9-10, at the latest.  That means we should start by lunch
time.

4-6? Thats sort of underestimating it. I think we should start at 10:00 AM,
and finish up about 12 hours later. (Note -- I don't know if we will actually
play that long -- but still, try and be there at the given times ... we can be
flexible, and finish up earlier --or later-- then that if need be.)

I'd propose that we meet around lunch time.  We can plan on getting some
pizzas.  We can eat while we figure out what we are doing and setup.  That
leaves us with at least a few hours of gaming time in the afternoon.  And,
still leaves plenty of time for the out-of-towners to get there and home.
Thoughts?  I'm not sure I have ever been to a gaming session that didn't
involve eating.  Hmm...

I have an hour and a half drive into Columbus. However, if I get moving at
8:30, I can be there by 10:00 AM. ("The early bird gets the early worm.")

Whenever we meet, everyone should plan on having a few bucks to get some
food at some point.  I can bring some munchies or drinks.  If a couple of
us each bring something, we'll have plenty of munchies.  I'll plan on
bringing some chips/pretzels sort of things.  Anyone want to offer a couple
of 2-litres?  Some general advice for this sort of get together.  If you
have specific needs (you can only stomach caffeine-free, non-diet, Pepsi-
clear (do they still make that?)) bring your own.  It' just simpler.  BTW,
I'll probably be bringing my own beverage because I can't really have much
caffeine or carbonation.

I can bring some chips, some 2-litres, and pitch in for the big pizza meal at
the end (If everybody pitches in $5, we'll have roughly $30 -?- to pay for it!)

I assume Tiffany and Adrian are big-kids, er adults, and will be driving
themselves.  I think I've met John.  I know I've met Jorge.  So that only
leaves L/D to ask.  L/D, will your parents be hanging around in Columbus or
just dropping you off?  Heck, do they want to play?  I'm only asking so
that we can help in any way.  If they want to see a movie while they wait,
we could recommend a theater.  That sort of thing.

I will be in Columbus on Friday night, staying at a friend of the family's,
who will then drop me at where-ever the Brik War event is at. He will also be
picking me up that night, too. (And I've already gotten permission from both
parents and the friend.)

This has already been cleared up.

Man, I'm long-winded.

Can anyone think of anything else which needs resolved?

I can. Who is going to host it? (Again. Heh.) Adrian Drake .. hinted .. (?) ..
that he lives in Columbus ... I don't know if that means that he can host or
what.

Game related, I would like to ask about some inventory -- flyer survival
equipment. Can I get flares? Chaff? Ejection seats? Additional rockets? Maybe
even Stealth equipment? (Represented by an all-black aircraft with a weird
shape.)

The stealth equipment question again -- can I make other stealth units?

I'm going to post an announcement in a couple of other groups now that we
have a date.

Cool ... lets get some more people in here.

   Later,
   Gino A...

LegoMasterLuke