 Local / United States / Ohio / 180
Re: CO BrikWars get together
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.oh
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 04:54:30 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.oh, Gino A. Melone writes:

So far we have the following people who've expressed an interest:
LegoMasterLuke (aka Drew Lawrence) {Buckeye Lake area?}
Gino A. Melone
Tiffany Vincent {Cinci}
Adrian Drake {Cleveland, what part?  I lived there for a while}

I live in right in the heart of Westlake, a western (duh) suburb.

John Matthews
Jorge Rodríguez

We're not going to worry too much about genre.  I propose we all use the
modern+1 tech rules and pretend whatever we field fits that.  My crossbows
can be those bowcasters that Chewie carries.  I wonder how I should rate
dragons?  Hmm...

Build whatever you feel like.  We'll figure out how to balance the combat
when we get there.

I guess I better build something then.  All I have currently put together are
some semi trailers, a full-size bowling pin, and technic-scale AT-ST.  I don't
think any of those will work for BrikWars though :)

Everyone should pre-calculate the point costs of everything they bring.
That will make it a LOT easier to figure out if we are balanced enough to
be fun.  It will also force me to read those sections of the rules more
carefully.

Everyone bring any appropriate dice you have.

For me, that's none :)  Hopefully we'll have enough gamers that can supply the
wacky 1d10 and 1d20 dice we need.

Should we define a battle scenario?  Something like, "free-for-all on
neutral territory" or "opposing fortresses" or "siege".  Should we plan on
having teams?  Or do we want to start as a free-for-all?

If we can get enough buildings, a siege or two might be fun.  Or we just
free-for-all and see what sorts of alliances may form.  If someone has some
nice buildings and/or castles, that'd be a great start.  I for one don't have
enough doors/windows to build a self-respecting building, so I probably can't
build a base.

How much structure do we want?  Just random stuff to hide behind or maybe
some actual buildings?

Buildings would be nice, but I don't know if I can build any.  I can bring a
few bins of basic bricks if we want to throw something together on the spot.

What about time of day.  From my experience with similar games, and
NELUG's experience, I'd guess 3-8 hours elapsed time.  Probably a minumum
of 4-6 hours should be planned on.  Being as old as I am, I am inclined to
plan on ending by 9-10, at the latest.  That means we should start by lunch
time.

Keep in mind that I have a 2.5 hour each way trip to make to get to this.
Anything past 8 or so is going to make my getting-home time extremely late.  I
wouldn't mind starting before lunch, maybe 10-11 or so.  6-8 hours of gaming
and I can get out of there at a semi-respectable time (unless I call on Uncle
Steve, who lives in Worthington, but I'd rather not)

Whenever we meet, everyone should plan on having a few bucks to get some
food at some point.  I can bring some munchies or drinks.  If a couple of
us each bring something, we'll have plenty of munchies.  I'll plan on
bringing some chips/pretzels sort of things.  Anyone want to offer a couple
of 2-litres?  Some general advice for this sort of get together.  If you
have specific needs (you can only stomach caffeine-free, non-diet, Pepsi-
clear (do they still make that?)) bring your own.  It' just simpler.  BTW,
I'll probably be bringing my own beverage because I can't really have much
caffeine or carbonation.

I've got a couple of bottles of Mountain Dew sitting around that I can bring
along.  Sugar and caffeine will be certain to keep the energy level up :)

I assume Tiffany and Adrian are big-kids, er adults, and will be driving
themselves.

Yeah, I'm a big kid :)

Can anyone think of anything else which needs resolved?

I will take care of the digital camera (as you mentioned in your addendum)

I am still wondering how much of my collection (or how much of anyone elses
collections) should be brought to the gaming site for last minute building for
scenery.  Now that I've sorted my collection out, it's a little easier to
transport, but still might take a while to load into and out of the jeep.  I
guess I'll see.

Tiffany mentioned in another message what sort of layout we will use.  I'll
bring whatever baseplates (meager as they are) to build a town, if necessary.
For things like mountains and trees, I don't know.  Will we have a supply of
books onhand to use to build a mountain if we want?

(you say you're longwinded...get the both of us together, and we could write a
novel!)

Adrian