 Local / United States / New York / Syracuse / 93
Re: Ames 75% Off Sale...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 01:28:39 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, John Robert Blaze Kanehl writes:
I think I am done w/ my Star Wars shopping onslaught...

FYI:
I have hit the stores at Carousel, Fairmount, B-ville, Route 57, and
Dewitt ( I didn't buy anything)

I have been buying the big sets (X+Y+B wings,Destroyers, Battle Droids, Sith
Infltrators, and Slave 1s) I generally left half the inventory of each set.

A couple employees and custoers behind me in line were noticing my purchases
and commenting they may stock-up for Christmas soon...

                           John

I love these accounts of Ames SW purchases.  Ames is one of my least favorite
stores around, of course that's based on poor service, etc, so I was thrilled
to walk into the Canandaigua Ames during this sale a couple of times and watch
the on-call manager wince as she rang up 75% off LEGO sets.  The very same
people who lost my photo processing orders, cancelled my rainchecks, and other
stupid transactions in the past had to comply with the language of the ad.
You know the drill - bring up some large sets to the service desk, have them
scan them to "make sure the sale price rings up," and watch their faces in
disbelief as they realize they're selling LEGO sets at a loss to the company.
I kept my purchases to a reasonable minimum, because I felt I was violating
the spirit of their sale on all SW items, but an ad's and ad.  They really
should have posted a correction to the ad in each store to stop the feeding
frenzy, but it's only Ames, after all!
That's my two cents.  Thanks for the insight into your transactions.  The next
time I shop at Ames will be for a similar LEGO sale, and nothing sooner...

Ed