 Local / United States / New York / 145
144  |  146
Subject:
I am walking again !!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.loc.us.ny
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 06:52:00 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Back in November 2001 I posted a message here about my latest surgical
status and recovery efforts following a severe motor vehicle collision.
http://news.lugnet.com/people/?n=2713

Now I am happy to report that I have begun to walk again.  With some more
training and assistance by my physical therapists, I expect to be walking
normally without any devices by the end of February.
I have been getting around with the help of crutches or a wheelchair for
over a year and I will be happy to leave them behind.  Today was the first
time I attempted to walk without crutches and I did very well.  I still
have to be very careful and to progress slowly since my knee and ankle
are somewhat weak. My steps were far from normal today and I moved with
a very pronounced limp but I have every hope that I will regain a normal
gait very soon.

My accident occured in December 2000 but I did not publicly disclose any
details untill last November.  I am a rather private person by nature.
But the excitement I am feeling now was more than I keep to myself; as the
Lugnet community is a large part of who I am I felt I should share my joy
with all of you.

I would also like to thank everyone who has emailed me and shown concern
for me and my circumstances.  Thank You for the much needed support.

__Kevin Salm__

.