Re: Memorial Day Weekend/ 5-27 Sun g'boro
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 14:20:18 GMT

sheree rosenkrantz wrote:
5/28 sun around 2pm.
Frank, Thomas M, & Fritz I have sent address and some directions.
Any other AFOLs welcome, just PLMK and I will send address.

A fun time was had by all. Participating were:

Sheree Rosenkrantz
Dara Rosenkrantz
Thomas Main
Fritz Grondy
Frank Filz

I arrived later than I expected, having left church a little later than
planned, stopping for food, then realizing the directions I had printed
out weren't really complete (silly me for not reading them before
printing), so I decided to follow Sheree's route (not sure if staying on
the highway would have been faster). I got a little mixed up since
Sheree's instructions didn't emphasize that once one got onto US 70, one
didn't make any turns (despite the road changing names and US 70 turning
off etc.) until specified in the directions (a hint for future
instructions). Had I paid more attention to the directions and the map,
I would have been fine.

When I arrived things were well in swing. Fritz had his inn and some
Blacktron creations out. I brought in my show and tell, which included a
new castle I'm working on, the new dinosaur sets, Creator figures, my
Wolfpack ships, my green and yellow cutter, and a few other things.

Sheree then showed us a bunch of her creations which included a Fabuland
bus modified for minifigs, a 3 winged Fabuland building, a covered
bridge, a very nice Fabuland windmill (powered), and some other things
which I've forgotten.

Then we decided to play with 12V trains. While Thomas set up the layout,
I built my 7735, getting the engine and one car finished before Thomas
got the layout completely running. We had fun playing with the 12V
trains, trying to avoid crashes between my 7735 which ran much faster
than Thomas's 7740 (partly due to motor age, mostly due to weight
difference). Thomas has two signal tracks, but only had one set up, so
it was tricky to change the points and trap one train in the signal
track while letting the other pass. Of course after others had had
several catch-up events, I demonstrated that it was possible to reverse
the trains directions just before a catch-up, and give it another try.
This was a clear demonstration of how much fun it is to run trains with
automated accessories.

Then I decided I should share the building fun, and suggested that since
there were four of us (well, there were five, but Dara was sort of
keeping to herself, we should have engaged her more), and I had four My
Trains, that we should build them, so we passed them out and built them
all (though the two small ones both got built without tenders, though I
had intended one to have a tender). They certainly are nice sets.

Once we were done with that, I noticed Fritz's box of trade goods, so we
put the trains away and brought out the trade goods. We had a fun time
with that, I got some minifigs, a TV antenna, and some floating boat
hull parts from Fritz. Fritz tried to convince me I should pay him to
take some Willa the Witch minifigs off my hands. He also took some
skeletons, a 5978 Sphynx Secret Surprise baseplate and a few other
goodies. Sheree got some Fabuland parts, some windows, some plates, and
a few other bits. Dara got a set of motor-trikes, a couple doors, and
some other bits. Sheree was trading Chrome sets from Tuesday Morning,
and since my trade with Fritz was so lopsided, Fritz actually ended up
with most of them.

After trading, Sheree fed us Falafel, fruit and cake. We then packed
some stuff into my car (I'm taking Thomas's 12V stuff for the GATS show)
so the bulk of what had been brought into Sheree's house had to go back
into my car. I also moved my car so Fritz could escape. After Fritz
left, we went back inside and watched the Creator video.

I took a few pictures which I'll put up later.

Frank