RE: Floor plan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 00:09:53 GMT

Hi,
Great input!  Here's some misc. comments and ramblings:
In defense of Saturday's arrangement, I think we were interested in getting
set up, and not spending a lot of time moving the ~80? chairs in the room
and then having to re-set up the original layout when done. Thus the use of
tables/chairs pretty much were they were. I do agree that we should have
stacked up most of the 50 chairs between the technic and the trains out of
the way though.

Sorry, I don't have an easy way to mod your diagram but see below.
I don't see a particular advantage to having a separate members door,
especially if we have an hour of "closed meeting/trading" before opening to
the public. Lets be as "open" as possible.  Also, if we do the "closed"
session, we should adjust our advertised open times accordingly.

Outsiders might be interested in trading/buying our extra stuff after the
"members trading time".

We should put the more impressive (Technic shuttle, hands-off displays?
etc.) stuff nearer the front so people who walk by are intrigued. (sp)

I don't think you should "wall off" the trains with the other tables.  I
like the idea of a 9 volt power source though to limit speeds.

If we assume the desired activity/presentation "zones" are (arbitrary
names):

Play/bricks/building, hands on (2 tables into a square, w/mat?, many chairs
all around)
Hands-on Displays (linear tables?, a few chairs) Our airport is in this
category.
View-only Displays, no hands (linear, square, or U? see below. no chairs)
(Fred's space ships?)
Trains, some hands? (could be with or adjacent to or between(!) the two
displays connecting them?) some chairs?
Trade/Sale (linear (better?) or square (walk-around?), no chairs)
Technic, hands on, chairs

Kind of Like:
___________________________
|Secure area     Sale Area|
|                         |
|                    Hands|
|Technic              Disp|
|                   Trains|
Door     Bricks     Trains|
|                    Hands|
|TV/VCR               Disp|
|                         |
|__Dr__Nohands Dsply__Dr__|

We should also come up with a layout for only half of the room, in case we
can't get it all next time.

If you don't want your sets/creations handled, (crushed, disassembled,
dropped, etc.)put them in the no-hands zone. Members could rotate assigned
times to watch them. The only real no-hands zone is the "no hands displays"
Duh.

For no-hands areas, arrange 3 tables into U's. That way people could
chaparone from the middle etc.

I think the train table(s) should be at least as big as last time's maybe in
an O shape? Operators in the center?

The Play/open bricks area/tables should not be in the far back. But not so
close to the door that they all walk out. How about in the center?

I taped up one of Fred's large LEGO bags to one window. We definitely need
better signage, and some compelling displays near the doors. Maybe the
"hands off" display tables?

If you want another "non display", just my stuff, more secure section, set
up a couple of tables in a rear corner,and bring a long table cloth to hide
the legs/stuff under them.

More comments?
Mark