Re: First BayLUG meeting deemed "a success"!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 23:40:28 GMT

  A very big thanks to Zonker, Russell, Fred, Mark, and anyone else involved in
the organizing of this event!  It was much more ambitious than I'd been
imagining, and I was quite happy to see how well it went.

  One conclusion that had been discussed after the San Francisco event was that
we should endevour to keep the different aspects of the meetings --
show-and-tell, trading/selling, kids -- separate.  The idea that had been
mentioned was a temporal separation, that is, having the show-and-tell come
first, and then play later, etc., maybe even dividing the purposes between
completely different meetings.  The suggestion that others have made here is a
spatial separation, that is, having a play area, a display area, etc.  I think
both could work, and am interested in hearing everyone's ideas.

  I do think that the most important distinction may end up being between the
kid-centered activities and the adult ones.  Frankly, after seeing the things
that can happen at the last two meetings, I won't be bringing any free-range
LEGO to meetings.  As it was, I repeatedly had to stop children from walking
off with the different foreign-issue sets (in boxes) I had on display.  If we
have a more carefully monitored display time, display meeting, or display zone,
that would help enormously.