Re: Floor plan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 18:38:18 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Mark Benz writes:
Sorry, I don't have an easy way to mod your diagram but see below.
I don't see a particular advantage to having a separate members door,
especially if we have an hour of "closed meeting/trading" before opening to
the public.

I thought that more security would promote more MOC's. That's all really.

Lets be as "open" as possible.  Also, if we do the "closed"
session, we should adjust our advertised open times accordingly.

Sounds good to me.

Outsiders might be interested in trading/buying our extra stuff after the
"members trading time".

Hmm. Hadn't thought of that.

We should put the more impressive (Technic shuttle, hands-off displays?
etc.) stuff nearer the front so people who walk by are intrigued. (sp)

I would suggest some sort of readily-indentifiable barrier for this. I make
this suggestion in remembrance of Joe Greene's shuttle gear box that was nearly
pried open.

I don't think you should "wall off" the trains with the other tables.  I
like the idea of a 9 volt power source though to limit speeds.

I'm not lobbying really hard for this, but suggesting it anyway cuz it's a
compromise: what if we have the train extend from the hands-on zone into
the secure zone? I'm thinking this would combine the best of both worlds in
case members want to display models by the train. Those that want to have their
stuff playable can make it so, while others (like paranoid me :) can still have
their stuff be seen by the train but not accessible.

If we assume the desired activity/presentation "zones" are (arbitrary
names):

Play/bricks/building, hands on (2 tables into a square, w/mat?, many chairs
all around)
Hands-on Displays (linear tables?, a few chairs) Our airport is in this
category.
View-only Displays, no hands (linear, square, or U? see below. no chairs)
(Fred's space ships?)
Trains, some hands? (could be with or adjacent to or between(!) the two
displays connecting them?) some chairs?
Trade/Sale (linear (better?) or square (walk-around?), no chairs)
Technic, hands on, chairs

Kind of Like:
___________________________
|Secure area     Sale Area|
|                         |
|                    Hands|
|Technic              Disp|
|                   Trains|
Door     Bricks     Trains|
|                    Hands|
|TV/VCR               Disp|
|                         |
|__Dr__Nohands Dsply__Dr__|

I like this floorplan too. Assuming the above "compromise" was agreed to, what
if we modified it to something like this:

____________________________
|Sale area      | Secure Area|
|--------       ----  +-----+|
|                   \_|Train||
|Technic              |Train||
|           Bricks    +-----+|
Door         on a       Hands|
|           Blanket     Hands|
|                        Disp|
|TV/VCR                      |
|                            |
|__Dr____Nohands Dsply___Dr__|

The "secure" line would perhaps cross approx at the middle of the train layout.

We should also come up with a layout for only half of the room, in case we
can't get it all next time.

Good idea. But then maybe we might want another room?

If you don't want your sets/creations handled, (crushed, disassembled,
dropped, etc.)put them in the no-hands zone. Members could rotate assigned
times to watch them. The only real no-hands zone is the "no hands displays"
Duh.

For no-hands areas, arrange 3 tables into U's. That way people could
chaparone from the middle etc.

Good idea.

I think the train table(s) should be at least as big as last time's maybe in
an O shape? Operators in the center?

Definitely as big or bigger. Operators in the center, or separate the tables
from the wall and sit behind the table.

The Play/open bricks area/tables should not be in the far back. But not so
close to the door that they all walk out. How about in the center?

All sounds good. I'll post your suggestion to the site when I get a chance.

-Tom McD.