Re: Meeting Protocols?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 03:11:31 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, David K. Z. Harris writes:
Far be it from me to dictate how the club should be run, since we don't
even have formal club leadership. But I did want to share my observations
about the recent meeting, as well as to restate some of the ideas that have
been voiced over the past two years by club members, so that newer member,
and visitors alike will have some background for the current discussions.

In the past, we've had parts trading sessions, and some show and tell.
We've only had "called to order" club business sessions at three meetings
out of nine, but there were three other meetings where someone had wanted to
have a club talk, but we didn't start it early enough...once parts
trading/selling starts, it's impossible to get even partial attention from
some of the members (and I'm guilty of this as well. :-(

<snip>

The call of the brick.... ;-) The suggestions made all sound good to me, as
experience has dictated many of them.

One thing that concerns me is if we use the partition segments supplied with
the room, we can't see what's going on behind them. While this might seem
desirable, we might actually want to be able to see our stuff while keeping
it out of reach of the public.

Here's a suggestion for a plan. I hope it fits everyone's concerns. LMKWYT.

          Fukaya Room
             Back
._______________________d__d___.
d      c  c  c  c  c  c  c     d
|______________________       s|
|____________________ 3|     cs|
|     |              | |     cs|
|     |              | |     cs|
|     |              | |  4  cs|
|  2  |              | |     cs|
|     |              | |     cs|
|     |              | |     cs|
|_____|              |_|___   s|
d                    |  _  |   |
|_                 5>| | | |   |
| |                  | |_| |___|
|1|                  |_____|___|
|_|                          ^ |
|                            6 |
|     c c c c c c c c c c      |
|d___w___w___w____w___w___w___d|

          Front

1 brochure table & TV
2 Uncle Dan's area
3 tables
4 members only
5 train area
6 brochures

d door
s chairstacks
c chairs
w window

The above design seemed natural, going with the natural entropy of the room.
I hope I didn't go ape with the tables. If we don't have/need as many we can
move the train area a bit more towards the back or use fewer tables along
the back wall. The train area could also be expanded behind the display to
show off any "no-touch" train/town stuff.

I was thinking that the back wall would be a good place for any Duplo
playmat present if we don't need all those tables, or even maybe smack in
the middle of the room perhaps surrounded by a ring of chairs to keep people
off the mat.

-Tom McD.