 Local / United Kingdom / 6434
Re: Limited Quantities of OLD stuff available at shop at home!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 09:01:01 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Simon Bennett writes:
Might I dare to suggest a non-pessimistic theory...
S@H is now the way Lego will sell items it previously sold via Service.  It
recognised the need and set up the bulk packs concept before offering all
this 'old stock' service stuff.

Maybe, but I suspect that Service was dropped (and this was over a year
before Shop@Home) because it wasn't profitable.  Too many sets for too few
orders.  The bulk brick selections are based around a different concept.
These 'new' items are obviously old Service packs, and Lego don't appear to
be making new ones.  Has anyone noticed that train wheels and micro motors,
from the packs put on earlier this year, have now disappeared?  And why
would 26cm cables be listed under two different pack numbers (at two
different prices - see trains) if they were new stock?  Why light grey
harbour plates, not dark grey ones like Lego put in all their latest sets?
These are old stock.

Once it sees the popularity of what it is currently selling and has cleared
warehouse space it will then start to sell 'new' service packs, even
individual elements on S@H.

We can wait in hope, but there's nothing there that looks like a new service
pack yet.  The convenience of on-line ordering must be netting more sales
than the mail-order Service pamphlets.  Maybe the castle expander and wagon
base sets are the way to go; I'd like to see more like this - but what I'd
really like is the return of the single colour mixed brick packs, with a
selection of slopes thrown in too.

Even better for them and for us it could set up
a Just In Time ordering system where you order what you want, they wait until
they have enough orders, then do a run, send them out and take the payment.

Personally, I doubt it would go down well.  Who would want to wait that
long?  Or take the risk that your order might never arrive?  Then again,
perhaps people could club together and put in a big bulk order, worth a
whole producion run.  Bag of 1000 black model team hubs (for steam trains)
anyone?

Jason J Railton