 Local / United Kingdom / 5675
Re: UCS X-wing quickie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:42:45 GMT

jonathan lill wrote:

In lugnet.loc.uk, Jennifer Clark writes:
Ian Bishop wrote:

My Daughter commented that they looked and smelled like school crisps. If
you dab one into your mouth, they are clearly organic in composition,
dissolving and tasting much like, erm, school crisps.

It is most reassuring to hear I was not the only one who sampled this
gastronomic delight!

Jennifer Clark

Those things are, I've been told, pure corn starch and are supposedly
completely harmless to eat though they don't taste good. I suspect that
theysmell quickly for being such a good protein source for mold and yeast
etc. However I would love to see whether the paste they make is any good as
starch glue.  Anyone? anyone? Bueller?

Hey another Ferris fan!  Do you have a kiss for daddy?

The main problem I found when dissolving them was that the outsides
dissolved well but shrivelled up, thus stopping the core from completely
dissolving.  If you were to chop them up into tiny pieces before
dissolving them in the minimum amount of nearly boiling water, you would
prolly get a good paste.

I first encountered these Wombles' whoopsies a few years back in college
when I opened a box of chemicals. (I am a chemistry teacher)  One of my
more spherical students took a shine to them and ate about fifty -
against my advice as there was some nasty stuff in the package.

Anyway, the upshot is that there were no long term side effects, so eat
the lot if you want to.  BTW, sodium ethanoate is the chemical used as
salt and vinegar flavouring, Michael.  It doesn't make them go soggy!

Mark