 Local / United Kingdom / 5502
Re: LEGO Customer Service????
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 11:37:35 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Tony Priestman writes:
0990 070809 is the number I always use, although I haven't recently.
The number at the bottom of the last letter I got from them has
08457 080070 on it, so try that first.

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, Peter Callaway (<G6svoo.Gu3@lugnet.com>) wrote at
16:12:24
Is there a phone number for LEGO Customer Service in the UK?...
Pete Callaway

There's also an 0345 number (I'll have to look it up) on the 1999 Service
catalogue, but 08457 080070 is the number on their correspondence.
They all end up at the same call center anyway - and I think it's an
international one.  I've called them five times in the last few months, and
I always end up speaking to someone with a Spanish accent and (on two calls)
a poor grasp of English and very little understanding of the product.  I
have spoken to someone in the UK, but then they put me through to the
service call centre.

First time was a damaged part in my 8444 Jet Wasp - a kinked flex connector
pipe.  The guy on the phone had the assembly instructions, and I talked him
through to the part.  I then got sent the end adaptors for the push/pull
cables!  (Although he did manage to locate some other spares for me - two
rare 2x1 trans plates for my Technic Bulldozer.  And, surprisingly, he got
the manual off Brickshelf to identify the part!)

So, I called back and spoke to a woman who did database searches on 'pipe'
and 'tube', but found nothing except the decorative tubing in the 8444.
Apparently the part is listed as 'flex outer', but neither of us knew this.
She assured me she had her finger on the part in the manual, and would send
me one.  What she sent was a selection of decorative tubes and some 'flex
outer' tubes in the wrong colour (blue, not dark grey) but at least I could
cut one to length and build the model, so I gave up at this point.

Then I called to ask for a new Service catalogue.  I was told to keep using
the 1999 one, as the Service system was to be replaced soon (there are no
Service catalogues in new sets).

I ordered two each of three service packs by post, and they bodged that.
My two micro-motors arrived, with a load of clip-ons for the bottom but none
for the top.  Only one of each of the other sets (small black technic bricks
and the space hinges/bearings) arrived.

I telephoned to complain, and was told the missing sets would be re-ordered,
along with the micro-motor tops.  I received the tops, and the technic set,
but someone had written 'deleted' on the order form over the remaining
hinges set.

I telephoned AGAIN to complain, and was told that the set must be out of
stock.  The operator said she would re-order it based on individual element
numbers from the set, and I'm still waiting.  Judging by the list provided
with the original delivery, it seems that the micro-motor sets were ordered
like this too.

What they have is a computer based index of all elements in a set, a big
library of all the instruction manuals, and a big picture-catalogue of
individual elements.  But, there is nothing to tie them all together.  The
computer system uses the text descriptions only, so it's hard enough to
match the text to the image in the manual - never mind the fact that LEGO
have some very peculiar part descriptions and they're not in the operator's
first language.  (dyk... the micro-motor pulley thing is listed as
'wedgebelt wheel').

Let's straighten something out here.  I'm trying not to discriminate, and if
I'm abroad I don't expect everyone to speak English.  But, if I call a UK
service center then I shouldn't have to expect the language to be a problem.

And for one department to order up something I have paid for, then another
to cancel it, and for it to be left to me to contact them to sort it out, is
just disgusting customer service.

So, best of luck to you.

Jason.