 Local / United Kingdom / 4280
Re: Loft storage of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 22:06:22 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Robert M. Dye writes:
From: Tony Priestman <Tony@you-rang.demon.co.uk>

Does anyone else have any experience of high storage temperatures
actually damaging their collection?

This is fairly location specific, but cross posted to .storage for
general info.
--
Tony Priestman

I bought a couple Time Twisters sets at KMart this Friday (I know, I know,
but they were REALLY cheap, and thus a good parts supply).

I don't recall which set it was...has the guy who looks like he's from
Greenwich Village, and the machine has those large, sort of diaphanous, sort
of bat-type wings.

The biggest damage is usually done by sunlight - witness the effect on 'old'
boxes left in the window of dusty old shops. Most lofts will only suffer the
heat effect but 40 degrees is not far off that experienced in some holiday
spots in Europe. Surely LEGO sell their products in these climates (also
Australia, US, Africa, Middle East).

My unwanted advice is....insulate the space between the rafters, seal the roof
with plasterboard, deck out the floor, paint, illuminate, window, carpet &
ventilate! Voila, loadsa space for LEGO and a great way to escape from the
wife.

Jon

Those pieces were a bit odd looking, as were the boxes themselves. The boxes
look as though they have humidity damage, and I think the wings have heat
damage of some sort.  I used to work in KMArt, and it DOES get HOT in their
storerooms.

So you might want to be extra cautious with your plastic but non-ABS parts,
such as these wings, boat sails, etc.

Rob