 Local / United Kingdom / 1717
1716  |  1718
Subject:
Loft storage of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.storage
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 1999 15:12:48 GMT

I've accumulated a lot of new sets in the last year, and haven't had
time to open them all.

I was starting to run out of space during the summer, so I thought about
storing my collection in the loft.

I live in a brand new house, built to the latest  UK building regs, so
there's a good, oh, six inches of insulation above the ceiling, and the
roof is those sort of corrugated tiles, on top of roofing felt.

So I stuffed it all up there, and everything was nice and tidy. Then one
particularly hot day, I thought 'Hang on, you're not supposed to wash
LEGO at greater than 40 deg. C: what if it's hotter than that in the
loft?'

So I rushed home as soon as possible, and took all the LEGO down again.
Then I put a hot & cold thermometer, meant for greenhouses, about 2 feet
off the floor in the middle of the loft.

Infrequent checks showed that the temperature regularly got to around 35
deg. C, and the maximum temperature attained was 39. This is very close
to TLG's recommendation for washing, which only lasts a short time.
These temperatures would have been sustained over many hours on many
days.

Consequently, I've kept all of my LEGO out of the loft, and it's not
going back.

Does anyone else have any experience of high storage temperatures
actually damaging their collection?

This is fairly location specific, but cross posted to .storage for
general info.
--
Tony Priestman