 Local / United Kingdom / 3708
Re: Euro shopping idea update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:23:17 GMT

Ian's comments about import duty reminded me of something that happened to
me some years ago. (There's no real point to this story, so disinterested
readers exit now...)

I think it was 1990, I flew back from the States into Heathrow, with some of
my 'treasure' safe in checked luggage. However, my luggage did not meet me.
When I was eventually reunited with it, it had obviously been searched
through by customs. In those days, I guess it was fairly unusual to go to
great lengths to protect a LEGO set in the middle of your suitcase by
wrapping it up in clothes. This must have raised the suspicions of the
customs, so they slashed the set open with their steely knives looking
presumably for drugs. I considered some sort of claim that I was a LEGO
collector and had actually bought it for the packaging as well as the
contents, but didn't think they'd believe me. So to this day that's how my
1682 Space Shuttle (US only) comes to be MISB (Mint In Slashed Box).

In case you're wondering, yes, this is a true story for a slow day.

Regards,

Phil in Yorkshire.