 Local / United Kingdom / 3668
  Beatties in trouble?

I heard from a Beatties employee yesterday that all the Beatties shops in Scotland have been sold off. I heard from someone else that this was to Hamleys?? Seems unlikely, but who knows. The Beatties guy also said that the English shops were not (...) (24 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Beatties in trouble?

Ian Bishop <ian@goodlife.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:fYy+IKA9mx$4Ewz...n.co.uk... (...) I hpe not, but I wondered about them myself. The Crawley branch is virtually empty - no software, hardly any LEGO, and acres of empty shelves and floor (...) (24 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Beatties in trouble?

Beatties in Winchester has closed too - I don't remember seeing any 'closing down' notices, they just seem to have packed up and left. I had noticed a general drop in stock levels (of everything, not just Lego) but I had assumed they were making (...) (24 years ago, 20-Apr-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Beatties in trouble?

The Middlesbrough branch closed down a week or so back too (in the NE of England). Maybe there is something on the web somewhere that would give a clue what is going on? (I can't call up the www myself right now...) Phil. ----- Original Message (...) (24 years ago, 22-Apr-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Beatties in trouble?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 23:08:41 GMT, Col uttered the following profundities... (...) There was an article in Metro (Paper for commuters) last week. Heavy losses, and as such some closures were to occur. Don't remember if it was shutting down (...) (24 years ago, 23-Apr-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Beatties in trouble?

Yep, the Beatties in Holborn looked closed and pretty empty as does the one in Romford, anyone know about beatties at that well know venue the "Essex girls favourite" i.e. Lakeside? regards, Jason (24 years ago, 24-Apr-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Beatties in trouble?

Beatties in Leicester has closed... Managed to get the large Stingray Aquanauts set for £30 from it though :) I've heard they're closing down all but about 10 shops in the UK, and then going back to models only. Steve (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Beatties in trouble?

(...) It looks like Argos/TRU has claimed another victim. Scott A (...) (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Beatties in trouble?

(...) This will be pretty bad for me if the remaining Beatties close - it will just leave Index, Argos and Woolies around here, and Woolies have next to nothing. I rarely bought anything in Beatties due to the top-dollar prices, but they always had (...) (24 years ago, 26-Apr-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Beatties in trouble?

Beatties obviously went bust beacuse Michael bought too many sets with his staff discount? I won't miss the store, the staff in the ones round my way were unhelpful and the prices were way to high! Argos is one of the best especially when they (...) (24 years ago, 28-Apr-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Beatties in trouble?

A bit more info: ...of the original 60ish stores, 20ish will remain open, but as already stated, they will concentrate more on models. Where stores are big enough, they will still cary toys too. The unwanted stores are being sold off. Some have been (...) (24 years ago, 5-May-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Beatties in trouble?

All Mail Orders from Beatties have stopped including the website one All Stock from closed shops have been sent to the remaining shops, i think Newbury is staying open, so is Sheffield and Nottingham. Lets hope Beatties can turn around from the (...) (24 years ago, 9-May-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Beatties in trouble?

Did you lose your saturday job? "Michael Edwards" <medwards@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message news:FuB9Cq.6wy@lugnet.com... (...) (24 years ago, 10-May-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Beatties in trouble?

I lefted As i moved about 3 weeks ago to Lincolnshire or known as Bomber country - due to the Dam Busters for WWII i live about 1 mile from the airfield that they used and i found a very good reference for the plane, when i have another 2 props from (...) (24 years ago, 10-May-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)

  Re: Beatties in trouble?

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Michael Edwards (<FuD2tr.H7G@lugnet.com>) wrote at 20:40:55 (...) Ha ha! That was my idea! I've got four, but you can't have them ;-) (24 years ago, 10-May-00, to lugnet.loc.uk)