 Local / United Kingdom / 2048
Re: MY FOTW (!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:05:23 GMT

Dave Schuler wrote:

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
Scott-A wrote:

MY FOTW (!)
I actually found this on Saturday on the way up town with my daughter. I
kept quiet about it so far as it is so difficult to describe. I borrowed
a camera last night, and have just posted some pictures.

The pictures are taking forever to download, so all I've seen so far is
the picture of the box. My guess is that Gary Istok is going to wet his
pants :-). I also wouldn't be surprised if he suggests you donate more
to the charity. I could see the wood box all by itself being worth what
you paid...

Ok, now I've seen the pictures. It's a real shame the inventory sheet on
the inside of the box is torn. That and the fact that you may not have
all the pieces seem to be the only detriments.

  I'm stunned by the clarity of the transparent bricks!  I have some from just
18-20 years ago that have already gone cloudy.  For that matter, I wasn't even
aware that they ever made transparent macaroni bricks.

   What a find!

OK,  now that I've had to change my underwear..... (heh-heh).....

What a find indeed.  This is a little bit of a complicated story, but here it
goes....

This set is German set #710 (Holzsortierkasten) which translates to  Wooden Box
Set.
This set also comes as an empty box #711.  In 1967-68 these came out as sets 820
(full) and 821 (empty) that used the same box.  But I really think you have the
earlier 710.  There are a few things missing.  The catalog is actually a 1961
German catalog, at least a year before this set came out.  Here is the Austrian
version (also in German - obviously, but with prices in Shilling instead of
Deutschmark) from 1961 in Horst Lehner's webpage:

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk61/GK61-1.JPG

There is no mention in either 1961 catalog of this set.

But in Horst Lehner's 1963 German catalog there is mention of the 710 thru 713
wooden box sets:

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk63/GK63-1.JPG

So I doubt that this catalog was originally part of this set.

As I said, that the set probably came out in 1962.  That was the year that LEGO
Wheels first showed up in LEGO sets.  There are 2 items missing from this set.
They are: 1) the set contents, which is on a colorful sheet (folded in half twice)
which lists the contents in the set (and some nice old LEGO building photos), and
2) LEGO item #238 which happens to be BUILDING IDEA BOOK #1.

By the way, I personnally have 6 Wooden box sets in my collection - #700, 711,
712, 712, 713, 821.

Gary Istok