 Local / United Kingdom / 1608
Re: UK to US money transfers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:58:32 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Alan Kershaw writes:

I had thought that International Money Orders still existed but the Post
Office insist that they are no longer available, and they won't insure a
letter with dollar notes in.

They suck anyway when the rate changes and you end up with less money than you
agreed upon!

Any advice on how to get $12 over quickly and safely.

Personally I'd just put it in an envelope and mail it, obviously this isn't a
good strategy if you do it regularly or with larger sums. But for the
occasional transaction it is possibly the easiest.

There was some similar debate a while back:
http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/?n=289

Which is probably more useful if it's something that you do a lot of.

Alternatively I think some people offer factoring services - ie send them a UK
cheque, and they'll send off a US one of the same value on your behalf. I've
never done this though, so I could be wrong!

Richard