 Local / United Kingdom / 1607
1606  |  1608
Subject:
Reduced sets/offers at Doncaster and Lakeside
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:35:08 GMT

A friend of mine came down to visit over the weekend, and I asked him to visit
a couple of places on the way down to check for items of interest.  He found
the following Technic sets reduced:

Asda Doncaster:
8437  Future Car       17.49 (as reported in a number of messages last week)
8280  Fire Engine      20
Apparently there were far more 8280s than 8437s on display, which is odd, as I
can only recall 8437s being reported at Asdas elsewhere.

Toyworld Factory Outlet Doncaster
8480  Shuttle          60
8299  Sub              20
8208  Chopper          2
8203  Buggy            1.50
8456  Fibre Optic Set  30 (I think, I already had 2 from Beatties at 15 quid
each, so I wasn't particularly interested)

There was probably other non-Technic stuff of note available as well, but I
don't have any details on it.

We also went to Thurrock Lakeside over the weekend, where TRU had a couple of
offers:
1. Buy a Mindstorms RIS (all 9719/v1 as far as could be seen) and get either
the Extreme Creatures or Robosports expansions at half price.  I believe this
offer has been seen at at least one other TRU.
2. Buy the Mos Espa podrace set, and get a Naboo fighter free.

And apropos of nothing, a couple of other observations:
1. Beatties now have a website - www.beatties.net.  Unfortunately all it has at
present is a message to come back in November when it goes live :-(
2. Last week's Autocar magazine stated that there'd be a "full-size" Technic
supercar on their stand at the Earls Court Motor Show, which I took to mean a
life-size version of 8448, similar to the one built to promote 8880.
Unfortunately, when we visited on Monday, all that was on their stand were 2
standard 8448 models in glass cases, without any sort of labelling to tell Joe
Public what exactly they were.  I didn't bother to enquire further at the
stand; it was sufficiently small that they wouldn't have had space for a
life-size car anyway.  Lego did have some large poster displays of 8448 and
corporate logos on the outside of the main entrance, but without any sort of
real presence inside - at least that we could see - I again wonder what Joe
Public would have made of it.